When I moved into my new house, I was happy to finally have granite counter tops, the gorgeous rock-turned-showpiece that made cleaning up the kitchen a bit more pleasant. I also love how low-maintenance it is, and that I can place a hot pan directly on without destroying it! Now I can say first-hand that granite lives up to its reputation as the perfect counter material for a busy kitchen.
The one thing I didn’t expect was that I would have to buy a different type of cleaner for it. I use this Orange Cinnamon All-Purpose Cleaner everywhere in my house, except my granite counters. Both the vinegar and the citrus are acidic, and will wear away at the granite’s finish. Instead, I have been using pure soap and water, which I know is safe for granite. However, over time I’ve noticed my counters were becoming dull. It seemed that a soap residue had been collecting on the surface of my once beautiful counters.
I tried a few recipes for granite cleaners with varying strength and scents, and have found one that combines my love of citrus-scented cleaners with my love for shiny granite:
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup alcohol such as high-proof vodka or rubbing alcohol
- 8 drops unscented castile soap
- 5 drops lemon essential oil
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/IMG_8433.jpg” width=”680″ height=”1020″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”DIY Granite Counter Cleaner | Evermine Blog | www.evermine.com”]
- To make granite spray cleaner, add all of the ingredients to a spray bottle and shake to combine.
- [url href=”https://www.evermine.com/labels/LS-29/”][img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/IMG_8444.jpg” width=”680″ height=”1020″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”DIY Granite Counter Cleaner | Evermine Blog | www.evermine.com”][/url]
- I use only a few drops of lemon essential oil in this recipe for my own enjoyment and it is not enough citrus to cause any wear to the stone. If you are concerned about citrus coming anywhere near your counters, then leave out the essential oils. Or use lavender. Lavender will soothe away your worries and disinfect at the same time.
- [url href=”https://www.evermine.com/labels/LS-29/”][img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/IMG_8450e.jpg” width=”680″ height=”552″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”DIY Granite Counter Cleaner | Evermine Blog”][/url]
Used In This Project:
- Large Labels • I chose the “Lemonade Stand” style in yellow.