Are you finding out the gender of your baby before he or she is born? Well, we’ve got a super fun way for you to share the news with your friends and family. Bake up a batch of these Gender Reveal Sugar Cookies and package them with personalized labels that say, “Are you right? Take a bite! And reveal the gender of baby _____!”
To make these cookies, you can use any basic sugar cookie recipe that you like. You can even purchase pre-made dough from the store if you want to cut time. Just make sure to follow our instructions for dying the dough in the recipe below. Or, if you’re making these from scratch, the recipe we chose for this project is this one from allrecipes.com, and it turned out really tasty – we highly recommend it!
Of note: we found that roughly 50% of the cookies in our batch were showing peeks of the hidden color inside after they came out of the oven, so we took extra measures to conceal the pink or blue color inside by frosting the cookies. We chose white frosting/icing because it’s gender neutral, and topped it with a generous dose of sprinkles to confuse the eye. Not only did the frosting and sprinkles make the cookies even tastier, but it also helps to ensure that the gender is truly a surprise until the first bite.
Whether you opt to frost or not, these gender reveal cookies are really fun to make, and a unique way to share the exciting news with your friends and family. Give them out to everyone one-on-one, or pass them out at your baby shower and have everyone open their cookie at the same time.
- Dough for Sugar Cookies (We used [url href=”http://allrecipes.com/recipe/9870/easy-sugar-cookies/” target=”_blank”]this recipe[/url])
- Colored Frosting or Food Coloring
- White royal icing and frosting
- Small or Medium [url href=”https://www.evermine.com/cellophane-bags/” target=”_blank”]Cellophane Bags[/url] (depending on how large you want to make your cookies)
- [url href=”https://www.evermine.com/labels/” target=”_blank”]Personalized labels[/url]
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Untitled-1-2.jpg” width=”1000″ height=”1320″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Homemade Gender Reveal Cookies Recipe from www.evermine.com”]
- Gather all your sugar cookie dough up into a ball. Remove 1/2 cup worth of dough from the main ball and place it in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Add colored frosting and/or food coloring to your mini dough ball, and mix on medium until the color is fully incorporated (you may need to scrape the sides of the stand mixer down a time or two to help the color mix in). Add more or less frosting/food coloring for a richer color until you’ve reached your desired level of intensity. Remove from stand mixer and keep separate from the undyed dough.
- To make cookies, turn oven on to 375F, and line your cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Take 2-3 tablespoons worth of the undyed dough and flatten it out with your palms. Take 1 teaspoon worth of the dyed dough and roll it into a ball. Place the dyed dough ball in the center of the undyed flattened dough, and cover the dyed ball completely with the undyed dough. Roll it into a ball in the palms of your hand, being careful not to mix the two doughs together. Place on cookie sheet and flatten gently. Continue to do this with the remaining dough until your cookie sheet is full.
- Once the oven has preheated, bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove cookies from cookie sheet and place on a wire rack to cool. Allow all cookies to cool to room temperature before moving on to the next step.
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Gender-Reveal-Cookies-from-www.evermine.com_0004.jpg” width=”680″ height=”1020″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Gender Reveal Cookies from www.evermine.com_0004″]
- To frost your cookies, line them with an outline of white royal icing, and fill with white frosting. Spread the frosting evenly with a knife, and immediately add the sprinkles (you’ll want to add the sprinkles while the frosting is still wet or they won’t stick). Allow frosting to harden before packaging.
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Gender-Reveal-Cookies-from-www.evermine.com_0003.jpg” width=”680″ height=”1020″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Gender Reveal Cookies from www.evermine.com”]
- To package, place cookies in cellophane bags. Fold the opening of the cellophane bags down and cover with a square of cardstock (tutorial [url href=”https://www.evermine.com/blog/confetti-shortbread-cookies/” target=”_blank”]here[/url]). Staple the cardstock down over the bag, and place your personalized labels over the cardstock, making sure the staple is hidden.
Used In This Project:
- Rectangular Labels • I chose the “Modern Museo” style in champagne.
- Cellophane Bags • The medium size.
SHOP OUR ENTIRE BABY COLLECTION >