Kids can make their own play dough and even mix their own colors! Package them up with a sweet label and give them as gifts for seasonal holidays or birthdays.
This project is totally worth the effort. Here’s why:
- Keep your kids busy
- Learn about color mixing
- Inexpensive fun
- End up with holiday gifts, birthday presents or party activities
- Reinforce skills of reading, following instructions, interpreting tables, using fractions, and fine motor control of the hands
- Please other parents with the gift of hours of safe, tidy fun for their kiddos
Quart-sized zip seal bags
Gold glitter (optional)
Labels (pictured are the size 52 Evermine labels
- 6 cups Flour
- 3 tablespoons Cream of tartar
- 2 ¼ cups Salt
- 6 cups of lukewarm water
- 6 tablespoons Vegetable oil or Coconut oil
- Food coloring
- Ground pepper (optional)
- In a large cook pot add the flour, cream of tartar and salt. Mix them thoroughly with a large spoon.
- Add the water and oil to the cookpot and stir.
- Place the cookpot on the stove over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- When the dough forms into a ball, remove the pot from the heat.
- Let the dough cool a little while, then knead it until it is smooth.
- Divide the dough into 3 equal portions, storing each in a sealable bag.
- Follow directions for one or more color schemes, using one of these portions per color scheme.
Color mixing instructions:
1.Pick a color scheme to follow and refer to the table for that color scheme.
2.Separate ¼ or 1/8th of the dough according to the table. Place this dough into an open zip seal bag.
3.Push a thumb into the dough to make a little well.
4.Carefully drop the food coloring into this well, using the drop amounts indicated in the table.
5.Push most of the air out of the bag and zip it sealed.
6.Knead the dough until the color is consistent throughout the dough.
7.Repeat this process for the other colors.
8.Arrange all of the colorful dough into a new sealable bag, taking care to keep the bag a relatively flat, rectangular shape.
9.Seal the bag, fold down the sealed end, and tape it with clear tape.
10.Finally, place your sweet Evermine label in the middle of the un-taped side to turn it into an unforgettable gift.