You’ll adore this easy craft project. Here’s why:
- Use your handiwork to cover bowls or to wrap food or to-go snacks.
- Easiest ironing ever.
- No sewing.
- Work with wax, which smells nice and behaves differently than any other craft material.
Materials and Tools:
Organic cotton fabric, such as fat quarters, cleaned and dried
Scissors (or pinking shears, if available)
Iron and ironing board
Labels (pictured is the Picture Perfect style in the tuxedo color in the tall hexagon shape and the skinny labels 11-inch shape)
- Using scissors or pinking shears (preferred, if available), cut out pieces from your fabric in all the same size or in a range of sizes. (Pictured are 8″ x 8″, 10″ x 10″ and 12″ x 12″.)
- Use a drinking glass and a pencil to mark out curves on each corner.
- Cut along the pencil lines to create curved corners to your fabric pieces.
- Place a large sheet of parchment paper over an ironing board.
- Lay one piece of cotton on top of the parchment.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of wax beadlets evenly over the cotton piece.
- Cover with another piece of parchment paper.
- Iron on high heat to melt the wax into the cotton.
- Remove the top parchment to make sure the bottom parchment is containing the wax and to add more wax pieces over areas that aren’t saturated.
- Replace the top parchment and iron again.
- Repeat the last two steps until the cotton is evenly coated, but not dripping.
- Set out this first piece of cotton to cool.
- Repeat this process for the other two pieces of cotton.
- Once cooled, trim off any stray threads. Your new wax bowl covers are ready for use!
To turn these into a stunning gift:
- Visit evermine.com to pick out labels that will look good with your fabric pieces. (Hint: A color that contrasts with your fabric may stand out best.)
- Fold your waxed bowl covers together.
- Use a skinny label to secured the folded pieces together.
- Apply a front label (hopefully with a sweet picture of yourself!) and text label with instructions on use.
- The pictured text label reads: “Your new waxed bowl covers are crafted with organic cotton and beeswax making them safe for food storage. The warmth of your hands will help these covers hug the edges of a bowl. Hand wash gently with lukewarm water.”
- Your handiwork is ready to give as a gift!