Whether your kids are naughty or nice, these dense and chewy Lump of Coal cookies will make for a highly requested addition to your family’s stocking stuffer tradition. They’re as simple to make as Rice Krispie Treats, requiring only three ingredients (Oreo cookies, marshmallows and a little butter), and take only a few hours to dry and harden, so you can make and package them the night before Christmas while the kiddos are asleep.
- 1.5 bags (14.3 oz) Oreos
- 5 cups large marshmallows (one bag)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Line a cookie sheet or counter top with waxed paper and set aside.
- Place oreos in the bowl of a food processor, and pulse until cookies have broken down into grounds. Place butter in a large soup pan over medium heat until melted. Add the marshmallows, and stir continuously until combined with the butter and melted completely. Remove from heat and add the ground Oreos. Stir until evenly coated.
- Pour cold water in a small bowl. When the mixture is cool enough to touch, dip hands into the bowl of water to keep the mixture from sticking, and grab about 2 tablespoons worth. Roll into a ball between your palms. If the mixture is particularly dry, you may need to squeeze the dough in your palms a few times before rolling.
- Once you've formed a ball, press it into a disc between your palms, and then set on the wax paper to dry and harden. Repeat this process with the remaining mixture. Let sit for 2-3 hours before packaging.
- Package your cookies in cellophane bags, and attach your personalized holiday gift tags. We chose the text, "Lump of Coal Treats - You've been Naughty!" but you can change it to say anything you'd like.
- Stick one package in each stocking and enjoy the reaction!
Used In This Project:
- Large Oval Hang Tags • I chose the “Merry Mittens” style in stone.
- Oval Hang Tags • I chose the “Merry Mittens” style in aqua.
- Small Cellophane Bags
SHOP THE ENTIRE HOLIDAY COLLECTION >