I’m lucky to live where sweet, wild berries are abundant in the summer. Each year I head out to my favorite (secret) blackberry bramble and pick bucketfuls of berries that cost a small fortune to buy at the Farmer’s Market. Near the brambles are also huckleberries and Oregon grape, both of which are on the tart side and complement the blackberries well. I boil all three of these types of berries together to make this beautifully-hued syrup that packs a lot of flavor into simple soda.
You may not have the same edible berries where you live, but you can adapt this recipe for any combination that tastes good to you. You are looking for a potent syrup with a balance of sweet and tart.
- 4 cups edible wild berries (blackberry, huckleberry, and Oregon grape used here)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001MSDOC/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0001MSDOC&linkCode=as2&tag=gardther-20&linkId=MPE6IWX5HKWI4DG5″ target=”_blank”]Glass oil bottle with spout[/url]
- Bring all ingredients to a boil in a large pot, stirring until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and let reduce for 30-45 minutes. Stir every once and a while and break up the berries to remove the most juice.
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/mash-Large.jpg” width=”680″ height=”907″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Making Wildberry Soda Syrup”][/url]
- While syrup is still warm, pour through a fine mesh sieve and press with the back of a ladle to press out all of the juice.
- [url href=”https://www.evermine.com/labels/”][img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/wildberrysoda10.jpg” width=”680″ height=”1020″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Homemade Wildberry Soda | Evermine Blog | www.evermine.com”][/url]
- Discard the pulp and pour syrup into bottles.
- [url href=”https://www.evermine.com/tags/shape-HT24/”][img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/wildberrysoda6.jpg” width=”680″ height=”817″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Homemade Wildberry Soda | The Evermine Blog | www.evermine.com”][/url]
- To make Wildberry Soda: pack glasses with ice, then pour in syrup to fill 1/3 of the glass. Top the remaining 2/3 with soda and stir.
Used In This Project:
More Gift Recipe Ideas:
Blackberry Lemonade Homemade Blackberry Jam Homemade Oregano Pesto Homemade Muffuletta Spread
Shop Our Food/Craft Collection: