As we round the corner into the peak wedding season, this is the perfect time to share this lovely hanging plant project idea. Here’s the gist of it: you gather up all the pretty and practical supplies necessary for the project and give it to your guest in a charming package; your guest takes it home, completes the project and ends up with a beautiful suspended jar of seeds bursting forth into joyful little plants.
Incorporating personalized labels into the favor can make it extra special and useful. The example pictured here uses favor tags to communicate table assignments to the guests. I’ve seen this work beautifully at a recent wedding reception. Because the favors will eventually hang in your guests’ windows, you can provide them with a daily burst of positive energy in the form of an affirmation— “You’re the best” and “We think the world of you” are just a couple examples that come to mind.
I love the idea of using culinary herbs for this project because they are so awesome to have around, and are especially convenient when growing indoors. Keeping the type of seeds a mystery can add an extra element of fun. Read below for detailed instructions on how to put this project together:
- 8-ounce regular mouth jars with two-part lids (a flat lid and a ring with threads, this is essential to the project), also at least one side of the jar needs to be smooth, meaning, no words or pictures protrude from the glass.
- Assorted wide ribbons or narrow lengths of fabric, about 1½ yards per favor
- Potting soil, enough for 1½ cups per favor
- Seeds - culinary herbs like chives, thyme, lavender etc. work great and are especially useful
- Small, resealable plastic bags for seeds
- Medium (sandwich-sized) resealable plastic bags for potting soil
- 2-inch circle labels (size 12) with a blank space for writing names
- Vertical rectangle labels (size 05)
- Favor tags of any shape (sizes 23, 12, 09, 39, 10, 88, and 24 all work great for this project)
- Rubber bands
- Thanks for joining us on our special day! We thought you might enjoy this simple, easy, DIY hanging plant project. Include a list of instructions.*
- Place about 1½ cups of potting soil in a medium resealable plastic bag, squeeze most of the air out of the bag before sealing.
- Place several seeds into the small resealable plastic bag—this will keep the seeds safe from moisture.
- Lay the fabric length or ribbon flat on your work surface, on top of this place (in order) the bag of potting soil, small sheet of instructions, bag of seeds and rubber band. Roll these last four items into a cylinder and wrap the ribbon/fabric around it. The goal here is to make the materials narrow enough to fit into the mouth of the jar, and arranged so that the pretty fabric shows through the glass.
- Tuck the materials into the jar, and cap the jar with your two-part lid. Write the names of the recipients of your favors on each of the circle labels. Place the circle labels on the lids, and the rectangular labels on the flattest side of the jar.
- If using favor tags for table assignments, label the tags with the table numbers before attaching them to the jars. String the favor tags around the neck of the jar, and voila! Adorable!
1. Remove all the items from the jar.
2. Pour the potting soil into the jar and press it down lightly.
3. Sprinkle the seeds on top of the soil and agitate the surface of the soil a little.
4. Water the newly planted seeds with about a ¼ to ½ cup of water, aiming to moisten all of the seeds.
5. Lay the ribbon flat on a table and place the jar at the center of the ribbon, pull either end of the ribbon upward and secure the ribbon at the neck of the jar with the rubber band so that the ribbon hugs the base and sides of the jar.
6. Slide the ribbon ends through the lid ring, and screw the ring onto the jar so that both ends of the ribbon emerge from the top of the still-open jar.
7. Attach each end of the ribbon to either side of a window frame.
8. Water your seeds every other day and enjoy watching them emerge and grow into delightful little plants.
Used In This Project:
- Circle Labels • I chose the “Rustic Bistro” style in burgundy.
- Rectangle Labels • I chose the “Rustic Bistro” style in burgundy.
- Fancy Diamond Hang Tags • I chose the “Rustic Bistro” style in burgundy.
SHOP OUR ENTIRE WEDDING COLLECTION >