When the colder weather arrives, a weekday dinner will often consist of some sort of warming soup. This vegetarian bean soup is a simple recipe that is full of nutrition to keep you warm from the inside out. Made using dry ingredients, it’s so pretty that it makes a great gift when presented in a mason jar.
To create a mason jar dry soup mix, layer the beans, peas, and lentils in the jar. You don’t need to use these exact beans, but choose dry ingredients with the same cooking time. In this case, all the legumes have the same cooking time with the exception of the split peas. The peas will cook a bit faster and create thickness to the broth.
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1/2 cup great northern beans
- 1/2 cup red kidney beans
- 1/2 cup black turtle beans
- 1/2 cup split green peas
- 1/2 cup green lentils
- Spice Mix:
- 2 tbsp dried basil
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 2 tbsp dehydrated onion
- 1 tbsp dehydrated garlic
- 4 cubes of organic vegetable bouillon
- 2 bay leaves
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/IMG_5338.jpg” width=”680″ height=”1020″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”IMG_5338″][/url]
- After filling the jar, mix the loose spice ingredients together in a bowl and split them into two [url href=”https://www.evermine.com/cellophane-bags/” target=”_blank”]cellophane bags[/url] along with two bouillon cubes and one bay leaf per bag.
- [url href=”https://www.evermine.com/labels/preview/SPLK14-01/”][img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/IMG_5351.jpg” width=”680″ height=”939″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Vegetarian 5-Beans Soup Mix in a Jar | Evermine Blog | www.evermine.com”][/url]
- Fold the top of the bag down a number of times so that the spices are contained in a small packet, and use a label to seal it closed. Add the bag of spice mix to the top of the legumes, label-side up.
- [url href=”https://www.evermine.com/labels/preview/TLLK07-01/”][img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/IMG_5355.jpg” width=”680″ height=”1020″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Vegetariand 5-Bean Soup in a jar | Evermine Blog | www.evermine.com”][/url]
- [i]Rinse and strain beans.
- Add 6 cups of water to beans and boil.
- Turn off heat and let stand for 1 hour.
- Rinse and drain.
- Add 7 cups water 1 x 14 oz can of diced tomatoes and the seasoning package.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.[/i]
- [url href=”https://www.evermine.com/labels/preview/SPLK07-01/”][img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/IMG_5358.jpg” width=”680″ height=”453″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Vegetarian 5-Bean Soup in a Jar | Evermine Blog | www.evermine.com”][/url]
- Each jar makes 9 cups of prepared soup.
Used In This Project:
- Small Cellophane Bags • I chose the small size.
- Tall Oval Hang Tags • I chose the “Lucky in Lace” style in purple.
- Large Oval Text Labels • I chose the “Lucky in Lace” style in purple.
- Envelope Seals • I chose the “Lucky in Lace” style in purple.
- Large Oval Labels • I chose the “Lucky in Lace” style in purple.
More In a Jar Gift Recipes:
Lemon Pudding Cakes in a Jar Recipe: Winter Squash Soup in a Jar Pumpkin Pie in a Jar Salad in a Jar
Shop Our Food/Craft Collection: