Autumn Leaf Pie Crust Cookies
While dessert pies are in season all year long, fall pies, such as pumpkin pie, pecan pie, sweet potato pie and so on, have carved their own special nook into our holiday traditions. That’s why we’re sharing this Thanksgiving-inspired spinoff recipe for pie crust cookies, which are perfect for serving during the holidays, or for packaging up as edible Thanksgiving gifts for all your favorite people.
To make these pie crust cookies, you’ll need to start with your favorite pie dough recipe (we used this Pate Brisee recipe from Martha Stewart). Add in some chopped nuts and dried fruit, and coat with a little cinnamon and sugar, and you’ll have taken your holiday pie crust expertise to a whole new level.
For our cookie shapes, we used autumn leaf cookie cutters because they add a nice, seasonal touch, but you can use any cookie cutter shape you like, or cut them freeform into strips or triangles, and serve alongside something sweet, such as this pumpkin pie cream cheese dip. We hope you enjoy!
- Pie Dough
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (we used pecans)
- 1/2 cup dried fruit (we used cranberries)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water
- 1 egg
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Autumn-Leaf-Pie-Crust-Cookies-with-Cranberries-and-Pecans-from-Evermine.com_0014.jpg” width=”680″ height=”1020″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Autumn Leaf Pie Crust Cookies with Cranberries and Pecans from Evermine.com_0014″]
- Place your flour, salt, sugar and butter into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the butter is fully incorporated (the mixture will look beady and flaky). Add your chopped nuts and dried fruit, and pulse a few more times. Add your ice water, and pulse until the dough forms a ball. Remove dough from food processor, and gather into two balls. Wrap in plastic and press into discs. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Autumn-Leaf-Pie-Crust-Cookies-with-Cranberries-and-Pecans-from-Evermine.com_0015.jpg” width=”680″ height=”1020″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Autumn Leaf Pie Crust Cookies with Cranberries and Pecans from Evermine.com_0015″]
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Remove one dough disc from the refrigerator and roll out onto a lightly floured surface until 1/4-1/2-inch thick. Cut shapes from the dough using your cookie cutter. Place on cookie sheet, leaving half an inch or so between each cookie.
- Crack the egg in a bowl and add a splash of water. Whisk with a fork, and brush an egg wash on each cookie. In a separate bowl, combined your sugar and cinnamon, and sprinkle a layer over each cookie.
- Place cookies in the oven on center rack, and bake for 9-11 minutes, or until the edges just start to turn golden brown. Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack, and repeat with the rest of the dough.
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Autumn-Leaf-Pie-Crust-Cookies-with-Cranberries-and-Pecans-from-Evermine.com_00161.jpg” width=”680″ height=”1020″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Autumn Leaf Pie Crust Cookies with Cranberries and Pecans from Evermine.com_0016″]
- Allow cookies to cool completely before storing and packaging. You can store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to a month, or package in small window tin-tie bags for up to a week.
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Autumn-Leaf-Pie-Crust-Cookies-with-Cranberries-and-Pecans-from-Evermine.com_0017.jpg” width=”680″ height=”1020″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Autumn Leaf Pie Crust Cookies with Cranberries and Pecans from Evermine.com_0017″]
- Add your personalized labels to each bag, and give as a gift to your friends and family for a Thanksgiving treat they can take with them and enjoy at home!
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Autumn-Leaf-Pie-Crust-Cookies-with-Cranberries-and-Pecans-from-Evermine.com_0026.jpg” width=”680″ height=”1020″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Autumn Leaf Pie Crust Cookies with Cranberries and Pecans from Evermine.com_0026″]
Used In This Project:
- Rectangular Labels • I chose the “Watercolor Spring” style in green tea.
- Circle Labels • I chose the “Watercolor Spring” style in green tea.
- Small Window Tin-Tie Bags
SHOP OUR ENTIRE THANKSGIVING COLLECTION >