Did you know that making gluten free play dough at home can be super easy? Though I’ve made it before, making play dough always seems like an intimidating task. Turns out, it’s simple stuff, and it’s somehow intrinsically fun to watch powdered ingredients, water, oil and heat turn into a delightful, pliable, non-sticky dough. To boot, you’ll end up with a great open-ended activity that can be enjoyed by kids and adults alike!
The fine folks at CeliacFamily.com put together the aptly named Easiest Gluten Free Play Dough Recipe, which is easier than making mac n’ cheese. The trickiest part is gathering some of the slightly obscure ingredients—but I’ll give you the Cliffs Notes:
- White rice flour can be found at some grocery stores, but definitely your nearest health food store;
- Cream of tartar can be found in the spice section or baking aisle;
- A food coloring set can be found in the baking aisle.
Once those are gathered, there’s no need to procrastinate. You and the young (at heart?) ones in your life can be molding colorful masterpieces before the hour is up.
I used this recipe to make a very adorable baby shower favor for kids. To create the charming presentation for the play dough, I dropped round patties in various colors into the 12 oz clear straight-sided jar from Specialty Bottle. I then adorned the jar with the very sweet Woodland Owl style in aruba in rectangular and scallop label shapes (sizes 05 and 23) and the oval hang tag shape (size 09).
- 1 cup white rice flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup salt
- 1 tbs cream of tartar
- 1 ½ tsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup heated water, not boiling
- Food coloring
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/IMG_4865.jpg” width=”680″ height=”510″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Baby Shower Favor: Gluten-Free Play Dough Recipe | Evermine Blog | www.evermine.com”][/url]
- Combine the dry ingredients in a pot and mix thoroughly. Add the oil, then over all this, pour the hot water and stir until there are no longer any lumps. Place this mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it shifts to a doughy texture and takes on a slightly translucent hue.
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/IMG_4867.jpg” width=”680″ height=”510″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Gluten-Free Play Dough Recipe | Evermine Blog | www.evermine.com”][/url]
- Place this now lump of dough onto a piece of parchment paper or a lightly oiled surface and allow it to cool slightly. Work the dough a little with your hands and divide it into pieces for adding food coloring.
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/IMG_4871.jpg” width=”680″ height=”907″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”IMG_4871″][/url]
- Unless you are very comfortable with your food coloring, add just a little bit at a time and work it in, then add more, bit by bit, until you get the color you are after.
- [url href=”https://www.evermine.com”][img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/IMG_4929.jpg” width=”680″ height=”510″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Baby Shower Gift Idea: Gluten-Free Play Dough | Evermine Blog | www.evermine.com”][/url]
- Store your new play creation in an airtight container.
Used In This Project:
More Baby Shower Gift Ideas:
Ladybug Party Inspiration Magic Sparkle Calming Bottle 3 Easy Baby Shower Favor Ideas Nail Polish Gender Reveal Favors
Shop Our Baby Collection: