Baby socks are pretty stinkin’ adorable aren’t they? Teeny tiny socks in all colors with hearts and dragons, cupcakes and lightning bolts, flowers and robots… The socks that look like sneakers are just too irresistible, so of course I bought a zillion of them.
Here is the other thing about baby socks I should say: babies don’t wear them! Trying to keep those little socks on those fat little feet is challenging to say the least. They slide off, or get pulled off and promptly go straight into baby’s mouth. Even if you can keep them on, babies grow out of their socks in 5 minutes it seems, so many a precious wee sock will never be worn.
So what to do with all those little baby socks? I made up these quick coin purses to give away as favors at my little one’s first birthday party. They would make a pretty great baby shower favor as well.
Originally, I bought metal coin purse clasps to do this project. After wrangling with the stretchy sock, stitches, and the metal clasp for an hour, I turned to the internet hoping there was a better way. Thankfully I found this How to Make a Sock Sack tutorial on wikiHow and it became clear I was overcomplicating it (sort of like trying to keep baby socks on a baby). I used the wikiHow tutorial as inspiration but made a few changes.
- Baby sock
- Leather lace
- Make a small cut on the inside of the sock cuff, at a location where you want your drawstring to tie.
- Find a fairly thin straw and cut it to about 4"-5" long.
- Thread the leather lace through the straw with at least an inch of lace coming through the top hole.
- Bend the lace over the straw and insert it into the hole in the sock cuff.
- Push, fandangle, and bend the straw all the way through to the other side until it comes back out the other side.
- Grasp onto the short lace end and pull the straw back out of the hole through the other side.
- Move the string through the hole to have two lengths of leather to tie together, holding the drawstring in place.
- To close the coin purse, hold both ends of the leather and slide the sock cuff in the opposite direction.
- Fill baby socks with chocolate coins, real money, or toys and package them up in gift boxes for favors.
PS: want to know the secret to keeping baby’s feet warm? Buy baby tights!
Used In This Project:
More Baby Shower Gift Ideas:
Circus Animal Topped Mason Jars Circus Animal Cookie Favors Pedicure in a Jar New Baby Gift Package
Shop Our Baby Collection: