It’s always fun coming up with baby shower favor ideas that are cute and delicious, and this recipe for homemade Orange Sweet Rolls is perfect for just such an occasion. To make sure that the rolls fit inside our small gift boxes, we decided to get creative with our baking technique. Instead of baking our rolls together in a large baking pan as most cinnamon rolls are baked, we’ve decided to keep them separate by using jumbo baking tins. This ensures that the rolls are contained while they’re doing their thing in the oven so they rise upward rather than outward.
As for the glaze, you can be as creative as you like. We experimented with all kinds of ingredients, including cream cheese-based frostings, but found we liked a light glaze made using orange juice and powdered sugar best of all. It imparts a subtle sweetness while allowing the rolls to remain the star of the show. We hope you enjoy!
- 2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- ½ cup warm water
- Fresh orange zest from one medium sized orange
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beatened
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice concentrate
- ½ cup of water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together active dry yeast and warm water. Let sit for five minutes until the yeast starts forming bubbles. Add orange zest, orange juice, sugar, salt, beaten egg and flour. Using dough hook, turn mixer on low. Once the dough starts coming together, add in the melted butter and continue kneading with dough hook on low for 5-6 minutes.
- Remove dough from bowl and form into a ball. Place ball of dough in an oiled bowl and cover with a damp tea towel. Place somewhere warm and allow dough to rise until it has doubled in size.
- Once the dough has doubled, punch down to deflate the air. Lightly flour your counter or work surface and roll out dough into a rectangle that's ¼-inch thick.
- Drizzle melted butter over rolled out dough and use a pastry brush to spread butter evenly. Stir together the sugar and cinnamon in a separate bowl until cinnamon is evenly distributed throughout the sugar. Sprinkle over the buttered dough as evenly as possible.
- Roll up the dough and, using a sharp knife, cut slices that are 1-inch thick. Grease 3 jumbo muffin tins with butter and place one roll inside each well. Cover and let rise for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375. Once preheated, place jumbo muffin tins on center rack and bake for 15 minutes, or until the rolls are golden brown. Remove from oven and place rolls on a wire rack to cool to room temperature.
- Rolls can be glazed once they're frosted. Mix the ingredients for the glaze together in a bowl. Dip the top of each cinnamon roll in the glaze for an even coating.
- Line your gift boxes with jumbo sized muffin tin liners, and place one roll in each box.
- Once your boxes are filled, place your personalized labels on the tops and front-sides of your boxes to make them baby shower-ready.
- And display your delicious, homemade baby shower favors on a table for the guests!
Used In This Project:
- Circle Labels • I chose the “Whimsical Floral” style in warm grey.
- Small Rectangle Labels • I chose the “Whimsical Floral” style in warm grey.
- Small Gift Boxes • I chose the white color.
SHOP OUR ENTIRE BABY SHOWER COLLECTION >