Been enjoying citrus lately? Put your peels to work with this simple recipe. Here are a few reasons to love candied citrus:
- Familiar, yet exotic and a little daring
- Usable in baked goods, beverages, snacks and muesli year round
- Makes great gifts!
- About 7 fresh citrus fruits
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- ½ fine granulated sugar
- Slice the ends off the fruit. Cut the fruit in quarters, length wise and remove the peels. Cut the peel pieces into ¼ inch strips. (Enjoy the inside of the fruit as you see fit.)
- Boil the peels in water for 15 minutes, drain and rinse. Feel free to repeat this process 1-2 more times as it will reduce the bitterness of your final product.
- Combine 2 cups sugar and 1 cup water in a pot and heat until the sugar is dissolved. Add the peels and cook on low for 45 minutes to an hour, until the peels are translucent.
- While you are waiting for the peels to cook, put the fine granulated sugar in a plastic zip seal bag.
- When the peels are ready, strain a few peels at a time before placing them in the bag, sealing it, and shaking the bag to coat the peels with sugar. Remove the peels and set them on a cooling rack. Repeat this process for all of the peels.
- Let the peels cool and dry for 1-2 days. They are ready to enjoy!
- Store your peels in an airtight container and use within a month. Refrigerate or freeze them to make them last even longer.
Why stop there? Put your precious work in a few jars and give them as heartstopping gifts! Here’s how:
- Visit evermine.com to pick out the perfect labels or hang tags to showcase your citrus peels, choosing your template style, colors, sizes and wording. You can even upload a picture of yourself, your product or your gift recipient(s).
- Once your order arrives, pack the citrus peels into jars and adorn them with your custom labels and hang tags.
- Your citrus gifts are ready to charm someone lucky!