The perfect Easter sweet!
Easter is right around the corner and I am getting excited! Things I love most about this holiday are the spring colors, candy, cute animals, and secret gifts. This year, in addition to leaving behind the traditional dyed eggs, our Easter Bunny is planning to leave individually packaged carrot cupcakes for my family and neighbors!
Carrot cake is a flavor I often overlook, but love. This was my first time baking carrot cake from scratch and I chose this recipe from Averie Cooks as my guide. The result was so delicious; they quickly disappeared from my kitchen. They are the perfect blend of sweet and spice and have a moist, soft texture. Plus the addition of the Robin’s Eggs and nuts on top added even more yummy-ness to this Easter treat.
Carrot Cupcakes with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
Recipe adapted from Averie Cooks
Makes about 18 cupcakes
• 2 large eggs
• ½ cup canola or vegetable oil
• ½ cup white sugar
• ½ cup brown sugar, packed
• ¼ cup sour cream (or greek yogurt)
• 1 tbsp vanilla extract
• 2 tsp cinnamon
• 1 tsp allspice
• 1 tsp ground nutmeg
• ½ tsp cloves
• Pinch of salt (to taste)
• 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• ½ tsp baking soda
• 3 medium carrots, coarsely grated (about 1 ½ cups)
• ½ cup raisins (optional)
• 4 oz cream cheese, softened (about ½ cup)
• ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
• 1 tbsp vanilla extract
• 1 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar (more or less as desired)
• Crushed pecans (optional)
• Whoppers Mini Robin’s Eggs (optional)
- To make the cupcakes, first preheat oven to 350F. Line two muffin trays with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl (I used my electric mixer), whisk together the first 11 ingredients until combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and stir until just combined (don’t over mix).
- Next fold in the carrots and raisins.
- Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full. I got 18 cupcakes, but you may get more or less depending on how full you fill each liner. Be careful not to fill them any higher than ¾ full or they will overflow when baked in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While the cupcakes cool, make the frosting. With your electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese, butter and vanilla on high until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar until you get your desired frosting consistency. 1 ½ cups was perfect for me, but feel free to adjust to your own tastes.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes then add about a teaspoon of crushed pecans to the top of each to form a nest. Then add three Mini Robin’s Eggs for the final touch.
To package my cupcakes, I placed them individually into small plastic cups (purchased at The Dollar Tree). Then I placed each cup into an extra large cellophane bag and tied it closed with ribbon and a custom favor tag in Swing style.
More Easter gift ideas:
Daffodil Centerpiece Marshmallow Kisses Handmade Doily Baskets Mini Easter Terrariums