Last winter I treated myself to a Doterra starter kit and fell in love with the lavender, peppermint and lemon essential oils. I use the lavender to ease headaches and help me sleep, the peppermint is great for nausea or upset stomach and I love using the lemon to lighten my mood and give me a fresh outlook. I’ve found using essential oils to be a great natural alternative to over-the-counter medications.
Last September, I started working part-time at Molly Muriel Apothecary, and have become more and more interested in essential oils and discovering new ways to use them. I’ve tried them in my own incense blends with herbs, and use them in my bath and homemade bath salts.
As a woman who suffers from severe PMS and painful periods every month, I wondered if there was a natural way to ease cramps and other symptoms associated with menstruation. After doing a bit of research, I found some different herbs and oils to try, so I decided to make my own essential oil blend to use along with a heat compress to soothe the pain.
- 15 drops German chamomile
- 20 drops clary sage
- 20 drops sweet marjoram
- 10 drops rose
- 10 drops lavender
- sweet almond oil
- 4 oz dark glass bottles
- Fill your bottles about ¾ full with the almond oil. Then add in your essential oils. If you’re new to blending essential oils, be sure to take your time and carefully count each drop. Depending on what brand/bottle of oil you purchase, you’ll use either an eyedropper or some bottles come with a built in dropper. You can see in the photos that I have both. Make sure to only use 100% pure, natural oils. If you live in the Portland area, I recommend visiting me at Molly Muriel Apothecary! Or a great online source for herbs and oils is Mountain Rose.
- Once you’ve added in all the essential oils, fill the bottle the rest of the way with almond oil (or insert a pump). To use, apply the oil to your lower abdomen when experiencing menstrual pain/cramps. Place a towel or cloth on top of the oil, then apply a heat compress using a heating pad.
Some more info about the oils I chose:
German Chamomile: Reduces inflammation. This oil is deep blue in color due to the presence of azulene. It also has pain-reducing effects, helps calm the nerves and reduces anger, irritability and depression.
Clary Sage: Relaxes the nerve impulses, reducing muscle spasms and cramps. Furthermore, it reduces symptoms like bloating, mood swings and food cravings by balancing hormones. It also helps calm the nerves, eases stress and depression.
Sweet Marjoram: Reduces pain on all levels. It helps to regulate menses and provides relief for other symptoms associated with periods, like headaches, dizziness and mood swings.
Rose: Also an antidepressant and antispasmodic. It stimulates hormone secretions which trigger menstruation, and can be particularly helpful for those who suffer from obstructed or irregular periods. It also eases cramps, nausea and fatigue while reducing pain associated with menstruation.
Lavender: Eases nerves, anxiety, headaches, depression and stress. It induces sleep and helps reduce pain.
For more info visit: OrganicFacts.net
- Do not use this oil blend if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- Test the oil blend on a small portion of your skin first. If you experience any sensitivity or irritation, do not use.
- Always use a carrier oil (like almond, coconut, or olive) when using essential oils. You don’t want to apply them directly to your skin.
- I am not a doctor or professional herbalist by any means, so I cannot guarantee this oil blend will work for you. Consult your doctor before using essential oils.
I made up a double batch of my essential oil blend and gifted one to a girlfriend who also suffers from painful menstruation. I’m sure I’ll be making more for other friends too! I decorated my bottles with circle labels in the Katniss style, and included a text label with instructions on how to use it as well as the ingredients.
Used In This Project:
- Circle Labels • I chose the “Katniss” style in deep coral.
- Circle Text Labels • I chose the “Katniss” style in deep coral.
SHOP OUR ENTIRE FOOD AND CRAFT COLLECTION >