Whether or not you’re hitting the trail or getting through a day at work or school–everyone appreciates a good trail mix. Make your own trail mix to:
- Make it the best ever with only the things you like
- Make it as a thoughtful gift with only the things the lucky recipient likes
- Enjoy giving or eating an easy, healthy, on-the-go snack
Materials and tools:
– A large mixing bowl
– Packaging for trail mix, such as canning jars or stand-up zip bags
– Sweet labels that fit your packaging (Tip: Use the multichoice option to personalize your labels in several different ways on a single sheet.)
- 1-3 cups each of 4-5 DRY ingredients
- Consider nuts or large seeds: walnuts, almonds, peanuts, cashews, macadamia nuts, pecans, coconut flakes, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds
- Consider dried fruit, chopped, or in small pieces: cherries, plums, pineapple, apple, pear, cranberry, persimmon, goji berry, blueberry, raisins, dates, bananas
- Consider sweets: yogurt covered goodies, chocolate covered goodies, candied ginger, candied citrus peel, candied nuts, mini marshmallows
- The main rule is to only use dry ingredients, otherwise the mix will go bad quickly.
- Combine all of your chosen ingredients in a large bowl and mix with a large spoon.
- Pour the ingredients into your packaging.
- Label your packages.
- Viola! Your snacks are ready to fortify your loved ones, body and soul.