Muslin gift bags are one of my favorite ways to package up treats and favors. They are easy to find at my local craft supply store and give the look of something more ‘special’ than, say, using a plastic bag.
Another thing that’s great about muslin bags is that there are a million ways you can decorate them. For instance, you can use stamps, stencils or even markers! For this project, I wanted to try a dip-dye method. The process was super easy and I love how they almost have an ombre look to them. They would be perfect for a wedding or birthday favor.
- Muslin drawstring bags (any size you like)
- RIT liquid dye
- Salt (if needed)
- Paper towels
- Small disposable plastic cups
- Plastic gloves
- Bake sheet and dry rack
- The first step is to fill your cups with ½ cup hot water (one for each color of dye you want). Then add in 2 tablespoons of dye and 2 tablespoons salt to the water. (Be sure to read the instructions on the bottle. Not all colors require salt.)
- Prepare a surface with paper towels or newspaper. Place a cooling rack on top of a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Carefully dip a muslin bag into the dye, holding it in place for 3-4 minutes. Once you get your desired shade of color, carefully place the bag onto the rack to dry. Repeat this process with all the bags you plan to make. Allow to dry completely.
Used In This Project:
- Circle Hang Tags • I chose the “Color Wash” style in deep blue.
More Handmade Gift Ideas:
Fairy Garden Kit Favors DIY Wood-Burned Salad Servers DIY Birthday Party Favors: DIY Manicure Kits Homemade Chamomile Salve
Shop Our Food/Craft Collection: