Making play dough is a great party activity, and one that the kids can all take home as favors! You can choose any scent that you want, and match it with corresponding colors. I chose lavender essential oil for its relaxing effect, peppermint for its stimulating effect and orange for its uplifting effect.
- 2.5 cups flour
- 1 cup salt
- ¾ cup warm water
- 1.5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Food coloring (red, yellow, blue)
- Essential oils (lavender, peppermint, sweet orange)
- Mix the flour and salt together in one large bowl.
- Set up three smaller bowls (that could easily hold at least two cups of play dough) and add ¼ cup of water to each one. Add food coloring to each of the bowls:
- • 10 drops blue for blue peppermint play dough
- • 3 drops red and 7 drops yellow for orange play dough
- • 5 drops red and 5 drops blue for purple lavender play dough
- Add ½ tablespoon of a non-scented vegetable oil to each of the bowls. I like sunflower oil but anything that isn’t strongly scented will do (olive oil would be a poor choice).
- Add 2-4 drops of essential oil per bowl. Start with two drops and add more if you want the scent to be stronger. More than that and it will be overpowering to little noses.
- Stir the color, oils, and water together as much as you can
- Add one cup of the flour/salt mixture to three smaller bowls and stir well.
- Dust a hard surface with a bit of the remaining flour/salt mixture and knead it with your hands until it is combined and a nice soft texture.
- Knead in a bit more water to soften the play dough, add a bit more flour/salt to make it firmer.
- Package the play dough in plastic canning jars and store in the fridge when not in use.
Used In This Project:
- Circle Labels • I chose the “Ruffled Ombre” style in radiant orchid.
- Oval Labels • I chose the “Ruffled Ombre” style in radiant orchid.
- Small Diamond Hang Tags • I chose the “Ruffled Ombre” style in radiant orchid.
SHOP OUR ENTIRE FOOD AND CRAFT COLLECTION >