My obsession with bright colors got me hooked when I saw this tutorial by Brit+Co. I already had a bunch of old crayons on hand from my previous DIY crayon post and I’ve been interested in making candles lately, so this was the perfect project!
Once you’ve gathered your supplies and set up a workspace near your microwave, this project is fairly simple and would be a great craft to do with a friend. I loved blending my own colors and experimenting with different color combinations.
- Old crayons
- Glass votives (I used small juice glasses)
- Wax • Wicks
- Dixie cups (or any paper cup)
- Popsicle sticks (for stirring)
- X-acto knife
- The first step is to peel the paper off your crayons. You can either use an x-acto knife or soak the crayons in water for easy peeling.
- Next, fill a dixie cup with wax and microwave for 1 minute. Give it a stir and microwave again in 30-second intervals until wax is completely melted. Pour a thin layer of wax into the bottom of each votive and place the candlewick in the center. Let harden.
- Using one crayon per color, fill a dixie cup with wax and top with a broken up crayon. Microwave for 2 minutes and then in 30 second intervals until completely liquefied. Let cool for 30 seconds or so and pour colored wax into the votive. Let the first layer dry for 20-30 minutes.
- Repeat this process and continue to pour layers of colored wax into each votive, making sure to let them dry between each layer.
This project would make great gifts or party favors. I added a scallop shape label in the new style Doodle.
Used In This Project:
- Scallop Labels • I chose the “Doodle” style in pink and ivory.
More Gift Ideas:
Lavender Fire Starter English Lavender Linen Sachets Dry Erase To-Do List Dip-Dyed Treat Bags
Shop Our Food/Craft Collection: