Making your own crayons is a popular craft and a great activity you can do with your kids. I used a mini cupcake mold to make our crayons, but you could also try using a fun shaped silicon mold as well. My niece and I had a lot of fun making up a big batch for her birthday to give to her friends as favors. I also illustrated a printable coloring book for everyone to color in. All the kids loved receiving these at the party, and my niece, Callie, was excited to give everyone something she made herself.
- Old, broken crayons
- Mini cupcake tray (or other oven-proof mold)
- First you want to peel the paper off all the crayons. You can soak them in water to make them easier to peel.
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/crayonfavors3.jpg” width=”680″ height=”453″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”How To Make DIY Crayon Favors”][/url]
- Next, break them up into small pieces and place them into the mold. You’ll want to be careful not to fill them too full. You don’t want to overflow the pan.
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/crayonfavors1.jpg” width=”680″ height=”1020″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”How To Make DIY Crayon Favors”][/url]
- Preheat oven to its lowest setting. I set mine for 170 degrees. Bake the crayons in oven for approx. 30 minutes, or until they are completely melted. Let cool completely (about 1 hour) and pop the crayons out of the mold. I used an x-acto knife to loosen any crayons that did not come out easily.
To Package My Favors:
- Muslin drawstring gift bags
- Oval favor tags
I packaged 5 crayons together in a muslin drawstring bag and decorated it with a custom oval tag from Evermine.
To download and print the free coloring book, visit Adventures-In-Making.com
Used In This Project:
- Oval Favor Tags • I chose the “Lady Bug” style in aruba.
More Kid-Friendly Gift and Favor Ideas:
DIY Soccer Party Favors DIY Art Kits for Kids Circus Animal-Topped Mason Jars DIY Wool Felted Magnets
Shop Our Birthday Collection: