Homemade lollipops are the perfect party favor because you can choose your favorite shape, flavor, color and cute packaging to match your party theme! Once you’ve gathered your ingredients and supplies, the process for making your own hard candy on-a-stick is simple.
• 2 cups granulated sugar
• 2/3 cup light corn syrup
• 3/4 cup water
• 1 teaspoon flavoring (I used LorAnn Oils brand)
• 1/2 teaspoon food coloring
• Lollipop mold (I used Wilton brand)
• Lollipop sticks (I used Wilton brand)
• Candy thermometer
• 2 qt. saucepan
• Metal spoon
Combine sugar, corn syrup and water in saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring mixture to a boil without stirring. When syrup temperature reaches 260 degrees fahrenheit, add color (use your candy thermometer to watch the temperature. It will take around 10 minutes to reach high temperature). Once you add the color, do not stir! The boiling bubbles will incorporate on their own.
Remove from heat at 300 degrees. After boiling stops, stir in your flavoring (avoid rising steam when stirring). Allow to cool for about a minute then use a metal spoon to fill your lightly oiled candy mold. Insert lollipop sticks and let cool until hard.
• Watch your thermometer carefully! Temperature rises quickly from 250-300 degrees.
• Don’t let the thermometer touch the bottom of your pan.
• Use a clean wooden or metal utensil when stirring in flavoring and color. Don’t use plastic utensils, bowls or spoons.
• Do not put cooling hard candy in the refrigerator.
• Cleanup by soaking your pans and utensils in hot water until hardened candy melts away.
Recipe adapted from LorAnnOils.com
Lollipop Favor Packaging
To package your lollipops up for party favors simply insert each lollipop into a treat bag and tie closed with a string and personalized tag. For extra fun I added a small circle label with the flavor (“Watermelon Breeze” and “Lemon Tart”) to the outside of the treat bag at center of each flower.
More homemade gift ideas from Rachel:
Lil’ Bug Theme Party Printables Cupcake Mix Favors Butterfly Cupcakes DIY Paper Lei
Shop Our Party Collection: