This year for Mother’s Day, I decided to make homemade soy candles for all the moms I know. Making my own candles at home was fun and easy, and cheaper than buying pre-made ones, especially since I have multiple moms I want to give presents to this year.
I knew I wanted to find some unique glass jars for my homemade candles rather than buying them, so I went to Goodwill and was surprised to find drinking glasses that are perfect for candles! They had clear glasses with fun patterns in a variety of shapes and sizes to choose from. I bought several different kinds for the different Mom’s in my life to use for my candles.
How to Make Homemade Soy Candles for Mother’s Day:
• glue dots
• Cotton candle wicks with tabs
• Medium saucepan
• Soy wax
• Candle making pitcher (or 4-cup measuring glass)
• Essential oils for fragrance (optional)
• Drink glasses or small glass jars, clean and dry
- Secure the cotton wick tabs to the inside bottom of your glass using glue dots (or double-stick tape).
- Once wicks are secure in the center of your glass, wrap the wick end around chopsticks to hold the wicks in place.
- Pour water into your saucepan until it is 2” high, then place on the stove over medium heat.
- Add soy wax in small pieces to a candle making pitcher. Then place pitcher in saucepan until the wax is melted.
- Once the wax reaches 140°F, add the essential oils (optional). Use 1 teaspoon of essential oil per pound of wax.
- Cool the wax to 110°F and carefully pour into your glasses.
- Once the soy wax has dried completely (4-5 hours ideally), snip the tops of your wicks to about 1/4” height.
After my candles were dry, I placed each candle inside a large clear cellophane bag with two matchboxes (I used the FREE Matchbox Printables from evermine.com to cover up the matchbox fronts). Then I tied a ribbon around the top with a custom tag for the finishing touch. Looking forward to giving these candles to my moms on Mother’s Day!
Used In This Project:
More Mother’s Day Gift Ideas:
Herbal Foot Soak Pressed Fern Wall Art Mother’s Day Cheer Apron in a Jar
Shop Our Mother’s Day Collection: