Pickled onions are one of my favorite toppings for fish tacos, sandwiches, salads and more. I love their pink color and sweet pickled flavor with a hint of spice. They are very easy to make at home and they’re a quick pickle, so you can eat them up the very next day!
These would make great hostess gifts! I used Casual Celebration style labels and tags to dress up my jars for easy gift-giving.
- 3 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp multicolor peppercorns
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- Pinch of sea salt
- 4 Tbsp sugar
- 2 jalapeños or Serrano peppers, sliced, seeds and all
- Peel and thinly slice the onions and peppers.
- Combine the vinegar, water, spices, salt and sugar in a pot and bring up to a simmer. Add in onions and sliced peppers. Remove from heat after 30 seconds. Stir until combined with the liquid and let cool too room temperature.
- Transfer onions to mason jars and pour the liquid over them. Will keep in the refrigerator for up to one month.
Used In This Project:
More Gift Ideas:
Roasted Heirloom Tomato Pizza Sauce Pickled Blackberries Orange Ginger Cranberry Sauce Caramelized Balsamic Figs
Shop Our Food/Craft Collection: