Homemade pickles are one of my favorite snacks. I’ve been caught more than once standing in the kitchen with the refrigerator open eating Lindsay’s dilly beans straight out of the jar! Lucky for me, Portland is bursting with hip restaurants serving up every variety of pickled delicacy. My love for pickles has recently made its way to my own kitchen. So far, I’ve tried my hand at pickled onions, pickled blackberries and even kimchi. My newest pickling experience involves cauliflower. I can’t wait to add it to the epic charcuterie board my boyfriend James and I love putting together as a special treat.
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 5 medium garlic cloves, peeled and lightly smashed
- Three ¼-inch thick slices peeled fresh ginger
- One half small yellow sweet onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- One small head cauliflower, cut into 1½ to 2-inch florets
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into lengthwise 4-inch pieces
- 1 small red bell pepper, cored & seeded & cut into strips
- Pack the cauliflower, carrots, and bell pepper into jars. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, add a coriander, mustard and cumin seeds and toast, until seeds are fragrant and slightly browned (about 2 minutes). Next add in the vinegar, garlic, ginger, onion, sugar, salt, peppercorns, turmeric, red pepper flakes and 1 cup of water to the toasted spices. Bring to a boil and then pour the hot liquid over the vegetables (add a little more water and vinegar if you need a little more liquid to fill the jars completely).
- Let cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate for at least 2 days before tasting. Will last up to two weeks in the refrigerator.
- For canning instructions [url href="http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/pickled-cauliflower-carrots-red-bell-pepper.aspx" target="_blank"]click here.
Used In This Project:
- Circle Labels • I chose the “Modern Museo” style in sunburst.
- Oval Hang Tags • I chose the “Modern Museo” style in sunburst.
SHOP OUR ENTIRE FOOD AND BEVERAGE COLLECTION >