Salty Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Happiness is Homemade – how true is that?! Well, for a morning class for our community, we will be giving out these delicious homemade cookies using a new recipe from Ina Garten featured in her new cookbook, Make it Ahead. These cookies have it all – the sweet and salty combo, with crispy edges, the soft insides… They’re so good that I’ve made them 7 times in just 1 week!
I love how these cookies look inside the CD vellum envelopes. The frosted paper gives you a sneak peek at something good to come, and the labels are the center of attention, at least until you take your cookie out.
A fantastic and easy way to package and share something homemade… Promise. It’ll make you Happy!
Salty Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Recipe Type: Dessert
Serves: Makes 28-30
Recipe very slightly adapted from from [i]Make it Ahead[/i] by Ina Garten.
- ½ pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1¼ cups old-fashioned oats, such as Quaker
- ¾ pound chocolate chips
- Fleur de sel
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/IMG_2396.jpg” width=”680″ height=”510″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Gift Idea: Homemade cookies packaged in CD Vellum cases | Evermine Blog | www.evermine.com”][/url]
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line 3 sheet pans with parchment paper.
- In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar on medium-high speed for 3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Scrape down the bowl with a rubber spatula. On low speed, add the vanilla, then the eggs, one at a time. Scrape down the bowl again.
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/IMG_2400.jpg” width=”680″ height=”510″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Edible Gift Idea: Homemade Cookies Packaged with CD Vellum Cases | Evermine Blog | www.evermine.com”][/url]
- Meanwhile, sift the flour, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl. Mix in the oats. With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture to the butter-sugar mixture. Don’t overbeat it! With a rubber spatula, stir in the chocolate chips until the dough is well mixed. With a 1¾-inch ice cream scoop (or two spoons), scoop round balls of dough onto the prepared sheet pans. Sprinkle lightly with fleur de sel. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until nicely browned. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/IMG_25371.jpg” width=”680″ height=”680″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”IMG_2537″][/url]
- If you prefer cookies thin and crisp, bake them straight from the mixing bowl. If you prefer them chewy in the middle and crisp outside, chill the balls of dough.
- [url href=”https://www.evermine.com/glassine-envelopes/”][img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/IMG_2527.jpg” width=”680″ height=”907″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Edible Gift Idea: Homemade Cookies Packaged in CD Vellum Cases | Evermine Blog | www.evermine.com”][/url]
Used In This Project:
- Circle Labels • I chose the “Vintage Burlap” style in burlap stone.
- Glassine Envelopes • I chose the large, square size.
More Edible Gift Ideas:
Perfect Pie Crust: Gluten-Free and Vegan Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix 5-Bean Vegetarian Soup Mix in a Jar Homemade Vanilla Extract
Shop Our Food/Craft Collection: