Quick show of hands, please: How many of you Evermine blog readers out there have ever taken on fermentation projects? You know, like brine pickles, sauerkraut or kimchee?
Well, my new favorite book, Fermented Vegetables by Shockey and Shockey showed me how to make something a little more exotic: fermented garlic paste.
The awesome thing about fermented garlic paste is that not only is it wildly tasty and very simple to make, but it also makes an unforgettable gift. I can’t imagine any home cook not appreciating a jar of delicious, bright garlic flavor at the ready.
What’s more, fermentation is designed to capitalize on the bounty of the harvest. So what better way to make use of an abundant garlic season than to ferment a big batch, and jar it up so you can share the harvest. Adding personalized labels seals in the charm and keeps awesome things like fermented garlic paste from being forgotten in murky fridge corners.
- Four large heads of garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons brine from raw sauerkraut
- Process the garlic in a food processor until a consistent paste is formed. Transfer the paste into a bowl and stir in the remaining ingredients by hand.
- Transfer this mixture into a jar large enough to leave at least 2 inches of space at the top. Place a clean, sturdy, dry plastic bag into the top of the jar and carefully fill it so that the jar is nearly full. Take care not to leak any water into the space filled by the garlic paste. Allow this set-up to rest in a cool place nearby, away from direct sunlight for 14-21 days. Taste the ferment daily, starting on day 14.
- As the paste ferments, the garlic will become more mild and sour than fresh garlic. Remove the paste when you are happy with how it tastes and refrigerate it in jars. To make a special gift, adorn the jars with sweet labels that convey the awesomeness of your fermented garlic paste.
Used In This Project:
- Circle Labels • I chose the “Casual Celebration” style in mint.
- Rectangular Labels • I chose the “Casual Celebration” style in mint.
SHOP OUR ENTIRE FOOD AND BEVERAGE COLLECTION >