Edible Gifts: Homemade Fruit Leather
When strawberries are fresh in season, I like to load up on as many organic berries as I can get my hands on. The only problem is that I have to use them up as soon as the flats get home, as organic berries will spoil very quickly. Making fruit leathers is a good way to store that berry goodness for many months to come.
These fruit roll ups make for a perfect party treat, or even as a hostess gift, especially if they are made from the strawberries you have grown right in your own garden.
Homemade Fruit Leather
- 4 cups strawberries
- 2 apples
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to the lowest setting about 175 degrees. The idea is to dry the fruit, not to bake it. Higher heat may be tempting to get the job done faster, but that will make your leather into candy and it will break apart.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Fruit-Leather-Evermine-Occasions-www.evermine.com_0007.jpg” width=”680″ height=”1020″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Fruit Leather | Evermine Occasions | www.evermine.com_0007″]
- Cook the strawberries and apples until they break apart easily with a spoon.
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Fruit-Leather-Evermine-Occasions-www.evermine.com_0008.jpg” width=”680″ height=”1020″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Fruit Leather | Evermine Occasions | www.evermine.com_0008″]
- Use a blender (or I like to use my immersion blender) to puree the mixture until smooth. Add in the honey and blend until combined.
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Fruit-Leather-Evermine-Occasions-www.evermine.com_0009.jpg” width=”680″ height=”1032″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Fruit Leather | Evermine Occasions | www.evermine.com_0009″]
- Pour fruit mixture onto pan lined with parchment paper. Spread the mixture out so that it is very even across – meaning level. It shouldn’t be thicker in some areas than others or it will cook unevenly.
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Fruit-Leather-Evermine-Occasions-www.evermine.com_0010.jpg” width=”680″ height=”453″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Fruit Leather | Evermine Occasions | www.evermine.com_0010″]
- Put the tray into the oven to dry for 6-8 hours. Check at after about 4 hours see if the leather is dried enough that it peels away easily from the parchment. If they are not quite ready, put them back in the oven and check every hour. It could take up to 12 hours (total) depending on how juicy your fruit was and how humid it is. Mine took all day!
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Fruit-Leather-Evermine-Occasions-www.evermine.com_0006.jpg” width=”680″ height=”1020″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Fruit Leather | Evermine Occasions | www.evermine.com_0006″]
- Using scissors cut the leather into rectangles, then wrap them in parchment paper and tie with twine. A tag helps you identify the flavor, if you have made a bunch of different kinds. Store them in a zipper bag in the fridge and you will have strawberries to chew on for months to come!
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Fruit-Leather-Evermine-Occasions-www.evermine.com_0005.jpg” width=”680″ height=”453″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Fruit Leather | Evermine Occasions | www.evermine.com_0005″]
Used In This Project:
- Scallop Hang Tags • I chose the “Color Wash” style in pink.
SHOP OUR ENTIRE FOOD AND BEVERAGE COLLECTION >