Anyone who has kids knows how many weekends suddenly are spent at birthday parties. Regular birthday party attendance also means a regular stock of birthday presents are needed. As much as I love gift giving, the prospect of figuring out 20 gifts a year for my little one’s pals wasn’t much fun, at least until I came up with an idea to make all those gifts at once!
This fizzing sidewalk paint kit provides entertainment for kids 2-10, although I might skew it more on the younger side. I tested it out with kids of a variety of ages, and while the toddlers mostly wanted to pour and slop paint everywhere, the older children made some pretty impressive artwork.
- 1 box cornstarch
- 1 box baking soda
- 1 box of food coloring (set of 4 basic colors)
- 1 spray bottle
- 2-3 plastic tubs
- 2-3 paintbrushes or foam brushes
- 1 bottle of white vinegar
- Instruction card
- Gift bag to fit it all
- Print up these instructions on an invitation card:
- “Mix baking soda and cornstarch together in a big bowl. Slowly add very warm water while stirring, until you reach the consistency of pancake batter. Separate the mixture into smaller containers and make different colors by mixing in food coloring. Paint the sidewalk with brushes, sponges, or fingers. Then spray the sidewalk with vinegar to see it fizz!”
- Pour the vinegar into the spray bottle and add a label.
- Put all of the materials into a gift bag and add labels and tags.
- Do a kit up for your house first and test it out. You will soon see how much fun it is! Paint up the sidewalk and then let it dry. Once it is completely dry, go nuts with the spray bottle of vinegar and spray the artwork. It will fizz and bubble and come to life!
- I recommend dressing kids in swim clothes and letting them hose off the sidewalk afterwards. That was almost as much fun as the fizzing!
Used In This Project:
- Large Labels • I chose the “Ruffled Ombre” style in bright pink.
- Invitations • I chose the “Ruffled Ombre” style in bright pink.
SHOP OUR ENTIRE KID BIRTHDAY COLLECTION >