DIY Frilled Crepe Streamers
Today we’re continuing our DIY papercraft series with these super fun frilled crepe streamers! If you’ve been to any kid’s party, you’re already familiar with those rolls of crepe streamers that are commonly used for decor, and that you can pick up at the store for less than a buck. Well, this tutorial will teach you how to transform those streamers into something a little more fun and colorful with the help of a sewing machine.
Do you have limited sewing skills? No problem. As long as you know how to stitch a straight line, you’re good to go. We’re showing you how to create these basic crepe streamers using just two layers, but feel free to get creative with multiple layers and different colors for a fuller, more playful look.
- Rolls of crepe streamers, your color of choice
- A sewing machine
- neutral colored thread
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Frilled-Crepe-Streamers-from-www.evermine.com_0009-1.jpg” width=”680″ height=”1020″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Frilled Crepe Streamers from www.evermine.com”]
- Choose which color (or combination of colors) of crepe streamers you want to start with, and cut to desired length. Cut another strip the same length in either the same or a contrasting color.
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Frilled-Crepe-Streamer-How-To-Sewing.jpg” width=”680″ height=”454″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Frilled-Crepe-Streamer-How-To-Sewing”]
- Place both layers on top of one another until the edges are flush. Make sure your bobbin and spool of thread are full, and place the streamers under the foot of the sewing machine right in the center of the streamers. Sew one solid line of thread down the entire length of the streamers, staying as centered as possible. You’ll want to go slow during this process to help it stay centered. If the streamers start to spread apart, you may need to lift the foot and needle of the sewing machine, and make adjustments before continuing on.
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Frilled-Crepe-Streamer-How-To-Grid.jpg” width=”680″ height=”1020″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Frilled-Crepe-Streamer-How-To-Grid”]
- Once your streamers are sewn together, cut the excess thread. Separate the layers from one another, and fold them in every direction. This will help ensure maximum frill volume after the cuts are made.
- Fold all the layers to one side, and begin making cuts that are 1/4-inch thick and 1/4 to 1/2-inch away from the center thread.
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Frilled-Crepe-Streamer-How-To-Finished.jpg” width=”680″ height=”1020″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Frilled-Crepe-Streamer-How-To-Finished”]
- Fluff the streamer a bit with your hands and separate any obvious pieces. Repeat for more streamers.
Looking for more DIY paper crafting tutorials for your decor? Check out these DIY paper garlands or these gorgeous paper fans!