Homemade cinnamon ornaments have been on my to-do list every year, but I never seem to be able to make time for it. After seeing this post, I felt so inspired by the idea of adding glitter that I spent a whole afternoon making some. It was such a fun project, and I love how the ornaments turned out. They smell and look like Christmas!
- 1 cup of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of cloves
- 2 tablespoons of nutmeg
- 1 cup of applesauce
- 2 tablespoons of glue (I used Aleene’s Tacky Glue)
- Cookie cutters
- Parchment paper
- Cookie sheet
- Mod Podge (I’m sure you could use the tacky glue too)
- String or bakers twine
- The first step is to make the dough. Place all the ingredients into an electric mixer and knead until a nice dough is formed. You can add more cinnamon if the dough is too wet or a little water if the dough is too dry.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 200 degrees. Sprinkle some cinnamon onto a clean surface and roll out the dough to about ¼” thick. Cut out shapes with cookies cutters, poke a hole in each shape using a straw, and then place them carefully on your prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 2 hours, flipping the ornaments once halfway through. The ornaments should be rock hard when they are done. Let cool completely.
- Next add the glitter! First, prepare your workspace. This is important as it’s very easy for glitter to get EVERYWHERE. I worked on another piece of parchment and poured my glitter into small bowls. One at a time, paint a thin layer of mod podge or glue over each ornament and them dip them (glue side down) into the glitter. Carefully place them on the parchment to dry.
Used In This Project:
More Handmade Gift Ideas:
DIY Potato Stamp Gift Wrap Knitted Christmas Bobbles Homemade Beeswax Candles Soy Tin Candles
Shop Our Holiday Collection: