My son’s very favorite thing right now is trying to scare people. He’s just a toddler so he will peek around a corner (from where I am well aware he is hiding) and exclaim, “Boo!” I feign terror, scream, and he giggles uncontrollably until we start the whole thing over again.
This all started from a book that we were reading with a ghost in it. As per the standard rules for reading to a toddler, I taught him that a ghost says, “boo!” and ever since it has been the most hilarious thing he has ever come across.
As Halloween approaches, I’m thinking of a small, child-friendly decorating theme with less-ghoulish imagery than has previously graced the household. I’m breaking out the mason jars yet again to make these ghost candles that will hopefully have the little one “Boo!-ing” all night long.
- Mason jars
- White chalk paint
- Paint brush
- Googly eyes
- Hot glue gun
- Tea lights
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/IMG_5086.jpg” width=”680″ height=”1020″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”How to make Halloween Ghost Jars | Evermine Blog | www.evermine.com”][/url]
- Paint the chalk paint on the outside of clean mason jars using a brush. You could use spray paint, but I like chalk paint because it has a flat finish. I also like to brush on the paint to see the brush strokes through the jar when the candle is lit – like the ghost is really covered in cobwebs or thin fabric.
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/IMG_5090.jpg” width=”680″ height=”1020″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”How to make Halloween Ghost Jars | Evermine Blog | www.evermine.com”][/url]
- Paint the first coat up and down, then the second coat around the diameter of the jar.
- Use hot glue to attach a few googly eyes. You ghost doesn’t need to have the same size eyes, nor does it need to have just two eyes. Have fun with it. They are googly eyes after all!
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/IMG_5132.jpg” width=”680″ height=”1020″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Halloween Ghost Jars | Evermine Blog | www.evermine.com”][/url]
- Light candles and enjoy your spooky but not scary Halloween decor. These will light up my front porch this year instead of a jack-o-lantern.
- [url href=”https://www.evermine.com/halloween_tags/preview/HTSK88-33/”][img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/IMG_5130.jpg” width=”680″ height=”453″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Halloween Ghost Jars | Evermine Blog | www.evermine.com”][/url]
Used In This Project:
More Gift Ideas:
Ghost Boo Bags Eyeball Cupcakes Halloween Trick or Treat Baskets Halloween Truffles
Shop Our Halloween Collection: