I grew up loving the story of the Gingerbread man, even though it’s a strange fairytale: A runaway gingerbread man escapes from a little old lady and little old man, taunting all the animals as he goes, saying, “Run, run as fast as you can, you can’t catch me I’m the gingerbread man!” But *spoiler alert* in the end, he gets eaten by a fox. I always really enjoyed it and all the other modern twists that have come along, such as The Stinky Cheese Man.
You would think that, since I enjoy the story so much, I would also enjoy making gingerbread men. It may come as a shock, but honestly, I’ve never attempted to make my own gingerbread men before. What?! How could I not try to make my own gingerbread men, you ask, and see for myself that they don’t actually jump out of the oven and run away from me?
I know. That’s why this holiday season, I’m making chocolate gingerbread men with candy canes for an extra treat. Happy holidays everyone – catch a gingerbread man if you can! They’re delicious.
- 4 ounces of baking chocolate
- ½ cup cocoa
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- Candy Canes
- wooden chop sticks
- In a large bowl, sift together cocoa, flour, baking soda and salt, and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, brown sugar, white sugar, and spices until the mixture is light and fluffy. Set aside.
- Place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl for about 2 mins. Stir. If necessary, continue microwaving in 10-20 second intervals until chocolate is completely melted.
- Add molasses, egg and melted chocolate to the butter and sugar mixture and beat for about 2 mins.
- Slowly begin adding the dry mixture and mix until just combined.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Form the dough into about 4 balls.
- Lightly flour a flat working space and roll out the dough to ¼ inch thickness. Cut shapes using gingerbread cookie cutters.
- Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Once you have all your cookies cut out, place a wooden chopstick (or candy cane) down on the gingerbread shape and slowly work the arms in so the the gingerbread man is holding the chop stick.
- Slightly pinch the two arms together. Repeat for other cookies.
- Bake for 8-10 mins Using a spatula, slowly move the gingerbread men onto a cooling rack. Once the cookies are completely cooled, carefully remove the chopsticks.
- Use frosting to decorate each gingerbread man as desired. Finish by slowly sliding candy canes into place under the arms.
Used In This Project:
- Oval Hang Tags • I chose the “Iconic Christmas” style in champagne.
SHOP OUR ENTIRE HOLIDAY COLLECTION >