On Christmas morning, I need things to be EASY. Mostly because the excitement of the little ones means that sleeping in will not be possible, and the soon-to-follow chaos of flying stocking stuffers, shredded wrapping paper, and early morning candy canes means that I somehow have to get some sustenance into all of our bellies, and fast!
Christmas morning breakfast should also be fun. Our usual fare of eggs or oatmeal just won’t cut it on such a special day. A stack of pancakes with fruit and real maple syrup is a treat that everyone can get behind!
I think that we aren’t the only family that is looking for fun and ease on Christmas morning, so I made up a bunch of these pre-packaged pancake mix jars to bring as hostess gifts for our various holiday events.
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Mix all of the dry ingredients thoroughly in a 16 oz jar.
- On each of the packages these instructions are printed on a text label:
- "In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 cup of milk, 2 tbsp butter (or oil), & 1 egg. Add 1 cup of the dry ingredients to milk mixture; whisk until just moistened. Pour ¼ cup of pancake batter into a hot, oiled skillet and cook until bubbles form. Flip & cook until browned."
- For this project I used ribbon stickers to decorate the jar. I used one around the rim of the jar lid and a few more coordinating ones around the middle of the jar, flanking the label. Add a red ribbon, gift tag, and a sprig of holly and this pancake mix is all dressed up for the special day!
Used In This Project:
More Edible Holiday Gift Ideas:
Peppermint Bark Mini Easter Terreriums Chocolate Gingerbread Men (with Candy Canes) Lemon Pistachio Wreath Cookies
Shop Our Holiday Collection: