Holiday Recipe: Peppermint Bark
This is my favorite time of year. While fall (and technically, we’re still in fall) is my favorite season, Christmas is my favorite holiday. I love everything about it: the lights, decorations and the food, to name a few.
This is also the time of year when people gather together for holiday baking parties to make homemade goods for teachers, and to participate in Christmas cookie exchanges. If you’ve ever been the recipient of a Christmas cookie exchange, then you can probably tell how much work and effort goes into making such wonderful little treats. But what do you do when you’ve volunteered to help and you’re short on time? Peppermint Bark to the rescue!
It doesn’t get any easier than this no-bake minty and chocolaty treat. I promise, even if you are a self-proclaimed baking impaired individual, you can make this. It’s only a matter of melting the chocolate, chilling it in layers, and then, the best part, you get to break it up into beautifully rustic, imperfect shapes that are wrapped in personalized little goodie bags, and voila! You are done, and you have a perfect little treat that you can feel good about.
- 24 oz of white chocolate chips
- 24 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract, divided
- 2 boxes of candy canes
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Peppermint-Bark-2.jpg” width=”680″ height=”453″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Holiday Recipe: Homemade Peppermint Bark | Evermine Blog | www.evermine.com”][/url]
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt semi-sweet chocolate chips in the microwave for 60 secs, stir and repeat for an additional 60 secs. Stir in 1/4 tsp of peppermint extract.
- Place parchment paper on top of a cookie sheet and spread melted chocolate over top.
- Place in the refrigerator until set and hardened (approx 20 min)
- Melt the white chocolate chips the same way. Stir in 1/4 tsp of peppermint extract. Unwrap candy canes and place in a large Ziploc bag and crush with mallet or rolling pin. Place one cup of crushed candy canes into the melted white chocolate and stir and quickly spread over the hardened chocolate. Sprinkle with leftover crushed candy canes. Place in refrigerator for 2 hours until set and hardened.
- Take out and break into pieces and place 3-4 pieces in goodie bags. Keep refrigerated for freshness-otherwise it will the bark will begin to soften.
- [url href=”https://www.evermine.com/holiday_gift-tags/preview/HTFR07-11/”][img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Peppermint-Bark.jpg” width=”680″ height=”453″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Holiday Recipe: Homemade Peppermint Bark | Evermine Blog | www.evermine.com”][/url]
Used In This Project:
- Large Oval Hang Tags • I chose the “Frosty” style in ice blue.
- Cellophane Bags
More Holiday Recipe Ideas:
Lemon Pistachio Wreath Cookies Brownie Mix in a Jar Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix Stained Glass Cookies