One of my favorite things to do with my oldest daughter in the summer is pick berries, especially blackberries. We’re lucky that some of our neighbors ignore their blackberry bushes because that means we reap the benefits of their abandonment. However, that also means that it becomes our job to make sure that those beloved blackberry bushes don’t invade our yard and ruin our garden. They will if we don’t stay on top of them.
A few years ago, Grace and I found a ton of blackberries down the road from our house. There were bushes and bushes of those beautiful berries just daring us to pick them. After about 90 minutes of picking berries, the sun finally set and we walked back to our house with purple stained fingers, scratches on our wrists and arms and two huge buckets filled with blackberries. Those berries were worth all the effort it took to get them and for the last two and a half years, we’ve been enjoying the fruits of our labor.
These sweet, fruit-filled donuts are the perfect way to celebrate the beginning of blackberry season and the vibrant blackberry glaze reminds me of our berry stained hands on that warm summer night that was spent laughing and bonding.
Since summer is all about late nights, neighborhood barbecues, and socializing, what a better way to get to know your neighbors than delivering them some freshly baked blackberry donuts. If you don’t know your neighbors very well, then here is your opportunity to display some summer hospitality and chat while the summer sun sets on your neighborhood.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- 9 TB melted butter, cooled to room temp.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg-slightly beaten
- ½ cup blackberries, roughly chopped
- 2 TB blackberries, finely chopped
- 1-2 tsp heavy cream, add more by ½ tsp if needed
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray donut pans with non-stick cooking spray. Give the ½ cup of blackberries a rough chop and set aside.
- Melt butter in a microwave safe bowl for 30 secs. Give the butter a stir and microwave for an additional 10-15 secs. Stir until butter is melted and set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the cooled butter, milk, and egg. Add dry ingredients and gently mix until just combined-don't over mix. Gently stir in chopped blackberries. Batter will be thick.
- Spoon batter into donut pans and bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the donuts to cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, add the remaining berries and cream. Stir together. Add the powdered sugar and stir to combine. If there isn't enough liquid to make the glaze, add a bit more cream until you reach your desired consistency. Place the tops of the cooled donuts into the glaze, swirling to ensure it covers the whole top of the donut and set the donut back on the wire rack so the glaze will harden.
*Packaging tip* If you plan on giving these as a gift and don’t want the glaze to rub off on any packaging-pop the donuts into the freezer for about 10 minutes. It makes for a cleaner process when bagging these goodies up.
Used In This Project:
More Homemade Gift Ideas:
Mini Strawberry Shortcake Favors Mason Jar Ice Cream Cake Homemade Moscato Cupcakes Cinnamon Palmiers
Shop Our Food/Craft Collection: