I keep seeing natural toothpaste recipes floating around, and I’ve been eager to try them. Toothpaste is just one of those things I cannot go without, and as I have swapped most of my skincare and health products for natural, homemade versions, making my own toothpaste was certainly not a stretch for me.
All of the ingredients I needed I had in my house, so testing a few recipes was easy to do. I tried out a few different combinations and settled on a version with coconut oil and peppermint flavor. Here is my recipe:
- Mix the coconut oil and the baking powder. Try to use coconut oil that is soft, but not liquid. Mixing will remind you of blending butter and sugar when baking. Mix thoroughly until smooth then add the bentonite powder, stevia, and peppermint essential oil.
- The bentonite powder gives the paste a bit of an unpleasant color, and you may think that it looked so much fresher before it was added. Bentonite may not be pretty, but it does a powerful job of absorbing and removing toxins, so I've learned to love the grey paste for its very attractive qualities.
- When your paste is all mixed up, give it a little taste. The stevia and peppermint are meant to mask the baking soda somewhat, but it will still be strong flavoured at first. If you think there is enough sweetness and mintiness, give your teeth a brush with a bit of the paste. You will find that the baking soda flavor quickly gives way to the coconut, mint, and stevia.
- After I used this paste just once I was hooked! My teeth felt so clean and I was pleasantly surprised. I have been brushing with it now for weeks and I have to say I'm converted!
Used In This Project:
- Circle Labels • I chose the “Lemonade Stand” style in lime.
SHOP OUR ENTIRE FOOD AND CRAFT COLLECTION >