Hamantashen are a favorite in our home and community, and as the Jewish holiday of Purim nears, the scent of hamantashen beckons me to my kitchen. You can definitely make the traditional poppy seed hamantashen, or even the prune filled ones, but there is something about apricot and strawberry jam that makes these triangle cookies a favorite.
My children especially love rolling out the dough, cutting it into circles and then filling them with their favorite flavors, including chocolate chips. Pulling up the edges and pinching them to create a three-cornered cookie isn’t easy, but that’s the fun – so try it! You’d be surprised at how easy this recipe is. With its almost cake-like dough, it’s a breeze to roll and cut.
For Purim, I will be giving out homemade hamantashen in bakery boxes wrapped in baker’s twine and a matching label.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp frozen orange juice concentrate
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 3 ½ cups flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, sugar, oil, vanilla, frozen juice concentrate and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the above mixture and mix until combined.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to about ¼” thick.
- Using a round 2" - 3" cookie cutter (or glass), cut out circles.
- Place circles of dough onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and add 1 teaspoon (or desired amount) of Jam into the middle of each circle. (Or poppy seed filling, prune filling, chocolate chips, jams etc.)
- Fold two sides of the circle until they meet.
- Then fold last side upwards to meet and pinch well.
- Brush the sides with an egg wash (one egg lightly beaten.) Bake for 10 -15 minutes, checking after 10 minutes to see if ready (the cookies should feel slightly firm).
- Place on a wire rack to cool to room temperature before packaging.
Used In This Project:
- Rectangular Labels • I chose the “Chalkboard” style in tuxedo.
SHOP OUR ENTIRE FOOD AND CRAFT COLLECTION >