My pen pal auntie always closes her letters with “take care of each other.” Good advice any time, but especially now when we are all trying to stay healthy. With hand sanitizer in short supply, making some at home to give to family and friends is a perfect way to offer some TLC.
DIY hand sanitizer is easy to make and only requires a few ingredients. For more illness prevention, mix up a batch of disinfecting surface cleaner at the same time. Lavender essential oil is included in both of these formulas to give them a nice scent – plus a little calming aromatherapy.
Take care, we hope you stay well.
Homemade Hand Sanitizer
3 ounces Everclear vodka (or isopropyl alcohol)*
1 ounce pure aloe vera gel
5-10 drops lavender essential oil (or your favorite essential oil)
1. Measure the alcohol into a container that has a pouring spout. A glass measuring cup works well.
2. Measure and add the aloe vera gel to the container. Alcohol tends to dry out your skin; aloe vera offers soothing relief along with helping keep your hands smooth.
3. Add the drops of lavender essential oil. If you’re allergic or just don’t enjoy the scent, you can substitute your favorite essential oil – like tea tree, peppermint, lemongrass, or eucalyptus oil. You can even keep it super simple and eliminate the essential oil altogether.
4. Use a whisk to fully mix the ingredients together.
5. Pour (or funnel) your hand sanitizer into containers.
6. Be sure to label your containers to make sure no one accidentally ingests your sanitizer – and to make them look wonderful as gifts.
DIY Disinfecting Surface Cleaner
1-1/4 cups distilled water
1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
1/4 cup Everclear vodka (or isopropyl alcohol)*
1 tsp lemon juice
12 drops lavender essential oil
1. Measure ingredients into a container with pouring spout.
2. Pour (or funnel) all the ingredients into a 16 oz. spray bottle. Gently shake/swirl the contents to combine. Be sure to store your cleaner in the fridge between uses to keep the lemon juice fresh.
3. Label your containers.
Note: Each time you use your cleaner, gently shake the bottle before spraying onto a surface. Do NOT use the vinegar cleaner on marble or granite because it can dull, discolor, or weaken the sealant.
*According to the CDC, hand sanitizer solution needs to be at least 60% alcohol to be effective. ) so when making your own sanitizer, ingredients like Everclear 190 proof (95% alcohol) and Isopropyl alcohol (91%) are what you need. Go for the strong stuff!
Pictured products: Waterproof vinyl labels in Apothecary Neat design, shape 07 oval and shape 02 rectangle; Apothecary Deluxe design in shape 05 and 16 rectangles. Hang tag is Apothecary Neat, shape 23. Containers can be purchased from Berlin Packaging: 16 oz spray bottle, 8 oz spray bottle, 8.5 oz pump bottle, 4 oz flip top bottle.