I have someone I think you should meet. He’s very strong, a little tough on the outside but tender on the inside; he might make you tear up a little, but he’s surprisingly sweet; and today, just because he’s meeting you, he’s dressed up in a suit. Please meet my new friend: Horseradish Root.
Actually, horseradish and I have been friends for a long time—for years without my knowledge, as a main ingredient in most wasabi pastes—and more recently in my herbal medicine adventures. (I mistook it for burdock root once, funny story.) But only recently did I do horseradish root the honor of producing a puree of it. Simple, with just a few ingredients, it really is about showcasing horseradish root’s strengths and subtleties.
Horseradish root is a digestive aid, used particularly with rich meats, so it makes an excellent condiment for steak and roast beef. Of course, it’s also super tasty in a good bloody mary cocktail, and goes well with potatoes, pasta, and tomato based dishes.
Spooning horseradish purée into 2-ounce straight sided jars provides the perfect size and packaging for a gift or favor, especially with the very formal Gatsby label style in tuxedo and pale gold in the petal shape and designer address label shape.
- 1 cup horseradish root, cubed
- ¼ cup cold water
- a couple ice cubes
- 3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/IMG_5121.jpg” width=”680″ height=”510″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Horseradish Puree | Evermine Blog | www.evermine.com”]
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/IMG_5122.jpg” width=”680″ height=”510″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Horseradish Puree | Evermine Blog | www.evermine.com”]
- Place the first three ingredients into a food processor and process until a purée is achieved. Add the vinegar and salt and process to combine. This purée will last up to six weeks if refrigerated.
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/IMG_5135.jpg” width=”680″ height=”697″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Horseradish Puree | Evermine Blog | www.evermine.com”]
Used In This Project:
- Designer Address Labels • I chose the “Gatsby” style in tuxedo.
- Petal Labels • I chose the “Gatsby” style in pale gold.
SHOP OUR ENTIRE FOOD AND CRAFT COLLECTION >