Record a few polished musical pieces to give to friends and family. Have fun designing your own CD label.
This is a super fun project for young musicians. Here’s why:
- Be inspired to practice and polish a few pieces
- Have fun making your own CD label
- Learn how to record your own music
- Surprise your distant family and friends with a recital
Ready to get started?
Materials and Tools:
-A few pieces that you’re ready to perform
-Recording capability and audio editing software (available for free) on your computer
-A read/write disc drive connected to your computer
-Computer paper or construction paper
-CD labels and gift packaging labels (pictured is the simple edge label in deep blue in the CD and large rectangle shapes)
- Visit Evermine.com to choose the style, color and wording for your CD label and your gift packaging label. You can even make CD labels with a winsome picture of yourself!
- Do a test recording to make sure the sound quality is good.
- Record and edit each track. Learn how here:
- Burn your songs to the CD. Here are a few helpful links:
- Listen to your first CD to make sure it sounds right.
- Burn the rest of your CDs
- Label the CDs with your Evermine labels.
To make inexpensive, charming CD sleeves:
- Working on a clean, flat surface, place a piece of printer paper or construction paper in front of you with a short edge closest to you.
- Place an old CD at the center of the nearest edge, with the paper underneath at least half of the CD.
- Fold each long edge over the CD and crease it, continuing the crease the length of the sheet on both sides.
- Press firmly down on the CD and fold the far edge down toward you, over the top of the CD. Align the edges and crease this new fold.
- Flip the paper and CD over so that the CD is now in a little pocket that is closest to you.
- Replace the old CD with one of your newly labeled CDs.
- Fold the top down so that the CD is snug inside this last fold, and crease it.
- You may need to cut off a portion of this new flap.
- Place a large rectangle label over the flap, with only about a half inch of the label extending below the flap. Hint: If you order waterproof vinyl stock the label can be reused to secure the package a few times.
- Send your CDs around the world or across town, to fans and loved ones.