Ready for this?
- Keep your kids busy
- Enjoy quality time with your little ones
- No actual cooking
- End up with holiday gifts
Yes? Well, you’re welcome: here are instructions for perfectly yummy muesli mix gifts.
What is muesli? From the Swiss-German word meaning “puree” muesli is a combination of goodies with grain (usually oats) that is often soaked in milk or yogurt, or cooked like a hot cereal.
Muesli is really fun to make with kids because you can brainstorm together about what you want in it (Fish eyes? NO! Dried blueberries? YES!) and kids are more likely to be interested in foods that they participate in preparing.
When you’re thinking of what you’d like to put in your muesli the only “rule” is to use dry, shelf-stable ingredients if you want to keep it around for longer than a couple days.
You can make the muesli and enjoy it yourselves, and get some extra milage out of this activity by packaging some of it up as gifts. With sweet labels featuring your kiddo’s name or picture, you’ll charm your friends and family with this thoughtful, usable gift!
Large mixing bowl
Large stirring spoon
Small window tin tie bags
Labels (we used our shape 77 modern museo style labels in mint with cherry red for the font color)
Instruction labels (we used our shape 1B modern museo style labels in deep red)
Tags (we used our shape 12 modern museo tags in mint with cherry red for the font color)
- 8 cups oats
- 1 cup seeds (such as sunflower, pumpkin, chia, flax, hemp, poppy, sesame, etc.)
- 1 cup chopped nuts (such as walnuts, cashews, almonds, coconut, peanuts, hazelnuts, etc.)
- 1 cup dried berries or dried fruit in small pieces (such as blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, goji berries, mulberries, apple, pear, pineapple, mango, even crystallized ginger!)
- 1/2 teaspoon spice powder (optional, such as cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, ginger, orange peel)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine these ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Partially fill 4 small window tin tie bags seal and label as desired. Store in an airtight container up to 8 weeks.
Serving suggestion—Soaked: In a leakproof container, add ¼ cup muesli and ½ cup milk or yogurt. Store overnight in the fridge and enjoy for breakfast.
Serving suggestion—Cooked: Follow the cooking instructions for the type of oats in your muesli and enjoy as you would a hot cereal.