I’ve been working on a fabulous gift idea for you. See, I come from a family lineage that takes its pie crust very seriously. After two or three years of tweaks and trials, this gluten-free and vegan version has recently earned the approval of the current pie-crust matriarch. An impressive feat, if I do blog so myself.
Packaging up the dry ingredients with a sweet label makes an awesome gift too! I suspect anyone who likes to make pie would be down for a delicious pie crust mix, and I bet people who like to eat gluten free or anyone who enjoys hosting people for dinners and parties would especially appreciate this baking mix.
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- ½ cup garbanzo bean flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 window small tin-tie bag in kraft or other container larger than 1.5 cups
- 1 small, sealable plastic bag (sometimes called a pill bag) with over 2 tablespoons capacity
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- Combine the first four ingredients in a quart jar. Cap the jar and shake until the ingredients are combined thoroughly.
- Open the jar, place the kraft bag over the top of the jar and overturn the two containers so that the flour mixture falls into the bag. This will help keep the air a little clearer of flour.
- Place the ground flax seed in the pill bag, seal it and place it neatly into the kraft bag. Close the craft bag and label the front sweetly.
- On the back, include instructions that read:
- Soak the package of ground flax seeds in 3 tablespoons of water. Cut 1 cup of coconut oil into the baking mix until the pieces are smaller than the tip of your pinky. Combine this with the soaked flax and ½ cup water until fully incorporated. Divide the dough into two equal halves and press into two 10-inch pie plates. Fill these pie shells and follow the baking instructions of your usual pie recipe--approximately 350 ˚F for 35-40 minutes.
Used In This Project:
More Gift Ideas:
A Gluten-Free Pantry Mini Easter Terreriums Deli-Style Nutmeats Chocolate Nut Date Bars
Shop Our Food/Craft Collection: