It’s grilling season!
And on top of that, we’ve got a super easy recipe for sharing at barbeques this year. Awesomely, these pickled sweet onions are tasty on all kinds of grilled things and they can be thrown together at the last minute. Also, adorning a jar of these with a personalized label means two things: the pickled onions might get eaten up since folks will know what they are, and you might get your jar back!
The simplest version of this recipe is super easy to make. It’s also very easy to dress up the recipe—just wander around your neighborhood with a pair of scissors and keep an eye out for edible herbs like rosemary, sage, lavender, hops, thyme, oregano, fennel, nasturtium, etc. Using red onions or adding a little beet juice will give your pickled onions a fun pink hue.
- 1 small sweet onion, slivered
- ½ cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 sprig of fresh culinary herb (optional)
- 1 8-ounce jar with a tight-fitting lid
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/IMG_4411.jpg” width=”680″ height=”510″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Homemade Pickled Onions | Evermine Blog | www.evermine.com”][/url]
- Pack the jar as full as possible with onions, and add the other three (or four) ingredients.
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/IMG_4418.jpg” width=”680″ height=”510″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Homemade Pickled Onions | Evermine Blog | www.evermine.com”][/url]
- Cap the jar, shake it to dissolve the sugar and salt and let set for an hour before serving.
- [url href=”https://www.evermine.com/labels/MO-14/”][img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/IMG_4460.jpg” width=”680″ height=”510″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Homemade Pickled Onions | Evermine Blog | www.evermine.com”][/url]
- Pictured here is the Morocco style in lime in the circle and rectangular shapes (sizes [url href=”https://www.evermine.com/labels/preview/SPMO12-14/http://” target=”_blank”]12[/url] and [url href=”https://www.evermine.com/labels/preview/SPMO06-14/” target=”_blank”]06[/url]).
Used In This Project:
More Edible Gift Ideas:
Easy Pickled Red Onions Pickled Blackberries Caramelized Balsamic Figs Sweet & Spicy Corn Relish
Shop Our Food/Craft Collection: