If I had a tiny garden with just enough space for a few vegetables to grow, I would make sure to plant onions, hot peppers, tomatoes and cilantro so I could make homemade pico de gallo (Spanish for rooster’s beak) all summer long. Pico de gallo is one of my favorite snack foods, and can be eaten with tortilla chips, or served in place of other types of salsas in Mexican food, over meat dishes, or on top of salads. Best of all, it is super healthy, and tastes light and fresh, which is perfect for the late summer months. It’s also one of my favorite hostess gifts to bring for gatherings like picnics and barbecues.
Pico de Gallo
• 1 large white onion, diced
• 1 jalapeno or Serrano chili pepper, finely diced
• 2-3 Roma-sized tomatoes, diced and seeded
• Handful of cilantro, washed and chopped
• Juice of 1 lime
• Salt, to taste
Rinse and prep all of the ingredients, and mix in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving so the flavors have time to mingle and meld. Pour into a jar or bowl, and serve with tortilla chips as a snack, or as an accompaniment to your favorite meat or Mexican food dishes. I also like to serve it on top of salad along with some freshly sliced avocado.
A few optional ways to prepare your pico de gallo:
– Replace tomatoes with diced ripe mango
– Add in some diced avocado
– Replace the cilantro with fresh oregano or other herbs for a completely different flavor profile
More homemade gift ideas from Lindsay:
Homemade Guacamole Mango Lassi Creamy Avocado Dressing Garden Fresh Pestos
Shop Our Food/Craft Collection: