I know a lot of people start their gardening projects in March, but I think Earth Day (which happens to be April 22nd) is the perfect day to celebrate the start of the gardening season. The weather is usually a little bit less rainy, and there is more sunshine to go around to help all of those plants and seedlings grow and grow. But to me, a holiday (or day of importance) isn’t special unless there is dessert, and I’ve got some cute Potted Chocolate-Mint Puddings topped with cookie crumble “dirt” to help ring in Earth Day!
Earth Day is the perfect day to gather a bunch of friends together and have a potting party. Everyone brings pots and dirt and seeds and plants, and you spend the whole day getting your hands dirty. And then to celebrate, serve up these cute chocolatey-minty treats. I think what really makes this dessert adorable is that, covering the creamy, cool chocolate pudding is a quite believable surface of cookie crumble dirt, and then the “planted” mint sprig completes the illusion!
Speaking of mint and gardening, mint is one of those herbs that could live through a nuclear disaster. It thrives all year long on my deck here in the Pacific Northwest. So even if you think you have a “black” thumb, you cannot kill mint. It’s the perfect herb to start your gardening year off.
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp from 1 1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (1 cup)
- 1/2 tsp mint extract
- 1 tbsp + 1/2 tsp unsalted butter, chopped into small pieces
- 10 wafer cookies, crushed
- mint sprigs for garnish
- Whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, and salt in a medium saucepan. Combine cream, milk, and vanilla in a liquid measuring cup.
- Pour 1 cup of cream mixture into sugar mixture and whisk until cornstarch is dissolved. Add the remaining cream mixture and whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly, and cook until thick (about 5 minutes). Reduce heat to low and add in chocolate. Whisk until chocolate is melted, about one minute.
- Remove from heat and add in butter and mint extract, whisking until butter melts. Quickly divide the pudding into 8 4 oz mason jars, leaving about a 1/2 inch from the top. Refrigerate to set the pudding, about 1 1/2 hours.
- [url href=”https://www.evermine.com/tags/preview/HTCF23-08/”][img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Potted-Mint-Chocolate-Pudding-4.jpg” width=”680″ height=”453″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Potted-Mint-Chocolate-Pudding-4″][/url]
- Just before servings, pulse cookies in a food processor until finely ground. Top each pudding with about 1 tablespoon of cookie dirt and garnish with a mint sprig. Serve Chilled.
- [url href=”https://www.evermine.com/canning-jar-toppers/CF-08/”][img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Potted-Mint-Chocolate-Pudding-8.jpg” width=”680″ height=”1020″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Potted Mint Chocolate Pudding | Evermine Blog | www.evermine.com #earthday”][/url]
Used In This Project:
- Small Canning Jar Toppers • I chose the “Champagne” style in grass.
- Scallop Hang Tags • I chose the “Champagne” style in grass.
SHOP OUR ENTIRE FOOD AND BEVERAGE COLLECTION >