When my home is filled with the heavenly scent of cinnamon, ginger and clove, I know that fall has truly arrived. These spices can certainly be used throughout the year, but there is something warming about pumpkin spices dancing through the air as a loaf of pumpkin bread bakes in the oven.
There is no shortage of pumpkins at this time of year, but I find that canned pumpkin is a more consistent ingredient in baking recipes. I always have my cupboard stocked with at least a few cans of organic pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling) to bake with.
Here’s the shocker: did you know that canned pumpkin puree is not always pumpkin? Pumpkin is often substituted with other squash with a smoother texture and sweeter flesh like butternut or Hubbard. I’m a big fan of all winter squash so I’m happy to make this bread from a squash by any name.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cups organic unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups organic whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups canned pumpkin puree
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/2 chopped walnuts
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped into 1/2″ pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Oil loaf pans or muffin tins.
- Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and spices in a bowl.
- Beat the butter, sugar and oil until light and fluffy.
- Add the pumpkin puree, vanilla and eggs to a large bowl and mix until combined. Add in the flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, alternating with the water, and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, 30-40 minutes for muffins or 45 minutes to 1 hour for loaves.
- [url href=”https://www.evermine.com/tags/preview/HTBV09-02/”][img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/IMG_4511.jpg” width=”680″ height=”1020″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Pumpkin Apple Bread | The Evermine BLog | www.evermine.com”][/url]
Used In This Project:
More Autumn-Inspired Gift Ideas:
Roasted Pumpkin Seed Favors Autumn Leaf Candle Centerpiece Hot Apple Cider 3 Ways Crockpot Apple Butter
Shop Our Halloween Collection: