The word “sea salt” gets me in trouble every time. I found a recipe for microwave caramels that can be made with Maldon sea salt and I knew I wanted to try it out. My friend was in from out of town, and I thought it would be the perfect time to chat in the kitchen while whipping up a batch of these caramels. After making and sampling the caramel batter on the whisk, my friend and I knew this recipe was a keeper. Looking forward to making even more of these for the holidays!
- ½ cup unsalted butter (don't use salted or it will splatter like crazy)
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed light-brown sugar
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp vanilla extract
- Maldon sea salt or fleur de sel (optional)
- Grease an 8 by 8-inch baking dish with cooking oil spray. Place butter in a large, microwave-safe bowl and heat in microwave until melted - about 45 seconds.
- Add the corn syrup, granulated sugar, brown sugar, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract and salt, and whisk mixture very well. Return to microwave and cook mixture on HIGH power for 5 to 6 minutes (at 2:30 I recommend stirring the mixture down - it bubbles a lot). After 5 minutes, use hot pads to carefully remove bowl from microwave.
- Place a small amount of the caramel in a bowl of ice water then remove it from the water and it should have formed a small pliable ball - nothing too soft or too hard. If that happens, the caramels are done. Mine were done at 5 minutes but times will vary slightly based on the wattage of your microwave and the size of the bowl you use. If it needs a little more time, return to microwave and heat in 20 second increments.
- Once the caramel mixture is ready, pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle top lightly with Maldon sea salt or fleur de sel.
- Place in refrigerator until set, about 40 minutes. Cut into rectangular pieces (I cut mine into rows slightly less than ½-inch then cut each row into three).
- Wrap in cut rectangles of wax paper.
- For the finishing touch, I used Modern Geometric labels in black and gold to seal my caramels shut.
Used In This Project:
- Designer Address Labels • I chose the “Modern Geometric” style in black and gold.
More Gift Recipe Ideas:
Mini Apple Cupcakes Pretzel Treat Baby Shower Favors Ruffled Ombre Cookies Homemade Moscato Cupcakes
Shop Our Food/Craft Collection: