Now that we are entering the home stretch of summer, the apple orchards are full of branches burdened with ripening fruits. As such, we wanted to celebrate the end of the harvest season with a recipe that’s symbolic of this time of year; one that utilizes and showcases the freshest ingredients with a unique twist.
That’s why we chose the Fennel Apple Spritzer as this month’s Saturday Sips recipe. This beverage is not only light and refreshingly crisp, but it makes a really fantastic and impressive drink for those final outdoor barbecues. The sweetness of the apples is cut with the mild soothing flavor of the fennel, and can be served and enjoyed by adults and children alike.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 12 Apples, washed and cored
- ½ cup water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 oz. fresh apple juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1¼ cup sparkling water
- 2 tablespoons Fennel Syrup, or to taste
- Fennel Fronds or Apple Slices to Garnish
- Ice Cubes
- Place the sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the fennel seeds and stir. Allow mixture to come to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Continue simmering for 5 minutes and remove from heat. Allow syrup to cool to room temperature, and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a month.
- Place apples in a large saucepan and add enough water to just barely cover. Place over medium-high heat until water starts to boil. Reduce heat to medium and continue to simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the apples have softened. Mash apples with a potato masher. Remove from heat and let cool until mashed apples are cool enough to handle.
- Spoon mashed apples into a juice bag or strain through a fine mesh sieve lined with cheesecloth. Squeeze out the juice and compost the pulp. Place juice in a jar and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Place ice cubes in a glass. Add the apple juice, lemon juice, sparkling water and fennel syrup. Stir and taste. Adjust amount of fennel syrup as needed. Garnish with fennel fronds or apple slices. Enjoy!
Used In This Project:
- Round Coasters • I chose the “Sweet Rose” style in lime.
- Square Labels • I chose the “Sweet Rose” style in lime.
- Fancy Diamond Hang Tags • I chose the “Sweet Rose” style in lime.
SHOP OUR ENTIRE FOOD AND BEVERAGE COLLECTION >