Winter weather has finally arrived here in Portland, putting us in the mood to cozy up by the fire with our hands comfortably cupped around a mug full of something hot. In this case, our hot beverage of choice is a rich and creamy hot cocoa made from a mix we’ve concocted ourselves. It’s so delicious that we had to share it with you!
The best part of making hot cocoa mix from scratch is that you can tailor the ingredients to create the perfect balance. Want to adjust the richness of your chocolate? Choose white chocolate chips, semi-sweet chocolate chips or anything in between. Want to add an extra kick of flavor? Try crushing up some peppermint or caramel candies and adding them to the mix.
And, of course, homemade hot chocolate mix makes the perfect gift or favor idea for the holidays. To package, you can just load a jar (any size) with the mix until it’s just over halfway full, and then add your mini-marshmallows, extra chocolate chips, crushed candies or anything else that strikes your fancy. What’s your favorite hot cocoa add-in?
- 2 c nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 1 c chocolate chips (We used ½ cup dark chocolate chips and ½ cup white chocolate chips)
- 1 c unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp salt (or to taste)
- Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until most of the chocolate chips have incorporated into the powder. Store in an airtight container. Will remain fresh for 6 months.
- To make a mug full of hot cocoa: add two or three tablespoons to a standard-sized mug and top with steaming hot water or milk. Stir until powder has dissolved and enjoy!
- -Crushed candy cane or peppermint candies.
- -Caramel or butterscotch chips (or candies)
- -Ground Cinnamon
- -A pinch of cayenne pepper (for a Mexican-inspired hot cocoa)
- -White chocolate chips
- -Vanilla Bean
- -A pinch of ground cardamom
Used In This Project:
More Edible Gift Ideas:
Homemade Pumpkin Spiced Biscotti Homemade Vanilla Extract S’more Fun Kits Pumpkin Apple Bread
Shop Our Holiday Collection: