After sampling many, many different recipes for hot buttered rum throughout the years, we’ve come to the realization that our favorite batters are those that meet these two requirements: 1. They’re loaded with an abundance of freshly ground spices, and 2. They’re rich and creamy, and don’t taste watered down once the liquids are added.
So, with these two requirements in mind, we’ve created a recipe that represents the best of both qualities. Our hot buttered rum batter is not only made with lots of warm, holiday-appropriate spices, but it’s also so rich that you could add it to hot water-only and still find yourself with an intensely flavorful and delicious warm beverage.
Which, of course, makes this an ideal recipe for both traditional and alcohol-free preparations. To go the traditional route, spoon some of the batter into mugs, add some hot water and a splash of dark, spiced rum, and stir until the batter has dissolved. For an alcohol-free version, just add to hot water or milk, or stir a spoonful (or two) of the batter to your morning cup of joe. Enjoy!
- 2 sticks butter
- 1¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 1¼ cup confectioners sugar
- ½ quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- In a large saucepan, warm the butter, brown sugar and confectioner's sugar over medium heat until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add the ice cream, vanilla extract and spices. Whisk together until ice cream has completely melted.
- Pour into freezer-safe containers and store in the freezer for up to 6 months (the batter will not solidify). We packaged our hot buttered rum batter into these pint-sized freezer containers from Amazon.
Add two tablespoons (or to taste) to a standard sized mug. Top with 3-4 oz. hot water and stir to combine. Pour in a shot or two of a dark, spiced rum, stir and enjoy!
Alternatively, you can stir in a dollop or two of the batter with your morning coffee for a non-alcoholic treat.
Used In This Project:
More Holiday Beverage Ideas:
Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix Pumpkin Cider Floats Hot Apple Cider, Three Ways Spiced Chai Concentrate
Shop Our Food/Craft Collection: